promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Low oil pressure killing engine?

I have heard rumors, but is there any modern car that inhibits cranking or starting if the oil pressure has been low? Obviously it can't inhibit cranking if there is low/no pressure because there is always no pressure when the engine is off. My brother had a 1970ish carbed Renault that did not run the fuel pump until the oil pressure was up, which required priming the carb if the engine ran out of gas.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

There were a few years of GM vehicles that had oil pressure switches in series with the electric fuel pump that provided power after initial start and Mercruiser does it in marine applications.

• Andy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I don't know of any specific cars that inhibit cranking with low oil, however it's certainly possible: if the electronic oil level sensor indicated insufficient engine oil then it could prevent the computer from activating the starter until oil was added. I doubt if low oil pressure detected would shut off the engine while running, because that could put the human occupants of the car in danger (at freeway speed, in an intersection or railroad crossing, or worse). Some friends with modern cars have been confronted with a STOP! warning on the dashboard after the computer detected signs of low oil pressure / loss of coolant / overheating. Each manufacturer will have their own way of dealing with such scenarios, documented in the owners' manual.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

All cars have zero oil pressure at the point in time you start the engine. There is no oil pressure until the engine starts. At that time you will have oil pressure in just about 1 second. Does this harm the engine? Of course it does to a certain extent. But remember there is a coating of oil on all moving parts from the last time the engine ran.

• 4 years ago

All vehicle run the fuel pump while in the crank position. The fuel pump relay shuts off the pump in 10 seconds if the computer doesn't "see" that the motor is running once the key is in the ON position.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.