Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 4 years ago

Summer Reading Assignment?

Okay so my teacher made everyone read a book of choice and I chose Bud, Not Buddy. We have to choose an essay to write on the topic so I chose this one: In many works of literature, a physical journey - the literal movement from one place to another - plays a central role. Choose a novel in which a physical journey is an important element and discuss how the journey adds meaning of the work as a whole. Avoid mere plot summary. Okay so, I tried doing my essay 2 months ago. I didn't procrastinate, but today I just found out I did it all wrong. I stated the whole ending of the book and included almost every little detail. I'm not good with essays, so can someone please tell me how to do this? It also has to be a 5 paragraph expository essay, not much.

• Mercy
    Favorite Answer

Discuss how the journey adds meaning of the work as a whole. Avoid mere plot summary.

THis type of thing:

http://www.shmoop.com/bud-not-buddy/themes.html

• Mercy
      4 years agoReport

Thanks:)

This is a pretty straight forward assignment.

How did the journey affect the hero? What changed in his life because of the journey? You support your assertions with samples from the book.

Say for instance, your book was "Little Red Riding Hood." How did the journey to Grandmother's house affect her? (Then there is that whole crazy question about why she didn't recognize the wolf was not her grandmother.) But back to the example. Her goal was pure, she wanted to go visit her grandmother and take her some goodies. However, when she got there, she was put into danger. (The wolf had eaten her grandmother and was waiting for Red.)

Depending on the version, either a woodsman comes and saves her by killing the wolf, and in some versions, the grandmother reappears. You might discuss how this story assumes that females cannot protect themselves, or you might offer an alternative ending where Red does fight back.

Bottom line, having read the book, you have the information you need for the essay, you simply need to process the information so that you can answer your teacher's questions.