Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in EnvironmentOther - Environment · 5 years ago

Are silverfish harmful?

So tonight, its 11:47 PM and I sit down on my bed with my dog. I look at my dog anf start to pet her and notice something beside her: a silverfish. I quickly jumped up, killed it, disposed of it, and am now paranoid. (1) it might just be me, but I think when I killed it, the bug let off a smell and does that smell attract more silverfish to my bed??? (2) are silverfish harmful and do they bite? I know that they attack you in minecraft, but hopefully not in real life aswell. Please help!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Mikel
    Lv 6
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Silverfish are harmless to humans. They don't bite us ever.

I suppose it's remotely possible they could spread a disease, but I've never heard of that happening.

That smell you detected when it was squished, is an indicator that it's not one of the insects humans can eat.

The one reason we don't like silverfish is they chew through clothing, bedding, curtains or anything other type of fabric that is appealing to their species.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Silverfish eat decaying wood. I don't think they even have teeth. They are harmless.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

T

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.