promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 years ago

Question about reading?

Do my writing skills automatically improve if I read articles with complicated writing styles that I admire?

Update:

And do I have to understand or just read?

Update 2:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ And do I have to understnad?

Update 3:

Sigh ... no one reads updates

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Just reading more, period, will improve your writing skills, as long as you're not reading crap on Wattpad or self-published garbage.

Edit: Just keep reading and you will "internalize" what good writing is. You don't have to read "complicated" writing styles, whatever that is. Of course you have to understand what you're reading. Are you having a problem with comprehension? Then how can you possibly think you can write? If you didn't need to understand what you're reading, you could just try to read Chinese or something, for all the good it would do you.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Complicated writing styles are not necessarily admirable. Simplicity and brevity are often more attractive. If you really want to improve your writing, read a couple of good style manuals first - Strunk and White (Brevity Rules!) and Stephen King s On Writing (less manual, but excellent tips) and anything by James Scott Bell all come to mind. Then you ll be in a position to look at what you re reading objectively. It s really important to understand what you are reading. Keep your computer open at the dictionary, and note down any words you don t understand, but only if the author isn t just trying to be a smart-*** by using a word last seen in experimental prose in 1859. Like the other answer says, read books, shed loads of fiction, whatever takes your fancy as long as it s competently written. Look at academic literature reading lists. There are loads online. Take a book to bed, and leave your phone, laptop and tablet downstairs. If you can get lost in a book, you ll absorb how to write well naturally.

• 4 years ago

Not necessarily, unless you resist the temptation to copy another writer's style. One very basic rule to writing: be CLEAR. You don't need flowery language when straightforward usage will make your work understandable.

And Yes, it's very important that you understand what's being read, that goes along with what I said in the last paragraph. There's no point in reading something that you can't understand, and the same would go for people reading YOUR work. The last thing a writer wants is to lose his/her audience by talking over their heads.

You can be a much more effective writer by keeping it simple enough for people to understand, but not so overly-simple that you insult your audience's intelligence.

I always thought that reading Charles Dickens helped my own writing.

• Lisa
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Yes, for your writing skills to improve based on what you read, you do have to understand what you are reading. Also, it is best if you analyze what you read. That is, you analyze it for comprehension (meaning), but you also analyze what in the thing you read made you come to that conclusion.

So, for instance, look at what kind of evidence was provided to back up the main point. Look for how the argument was logically made. Look at the quality of the language. You should even look at the sentence structure and quality of vocabulary. And then, if you feel that what you read was, in fact, well-written, then try to take on those exact qualities in the next thing you write.

This is a time-consuming process, but it is well worth it. If you read more and analyze what you are reading, and then you do a lot more writing, too, you will definitely improve.

Good luck to you!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Cogito
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Reading 'articles' might not be of much use. They're rarely of any real literary merit.

And whether or not reading anything would improve your writing depends of whether you absorb the information you're looking at, if you understand it, and if you have any talent.

Make sure you're not admiring writing simply because it's complex - that doesn't make it good. Good writing can be very simple. Trying to be too clever is never a good plan.

• 4 years ago

No . You should read alot . Especialy succesful authors' works , not just complex articles

• Dv8s
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

How to improve you writing skills, yes reading does improve your writing skills, but more than anything... writing improves your writing skills.

• Jepchamp
      Lv 7
      4 years agoReport

If you're a bad writer, writing more just ends up with more bad writing.

• 4 years ago

Could be

• 4 years ago

I think so.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.