Should I go into federal law enforcement or become a lawyer?

I recently graduated from Oregon State University with a 4.0 GPA in Accounting. I have been pushed by my family to go into the field of law because several of my relatives are lawyers, however I think I would really enjoy law enforcement. My family tries to talk me out of such a career on a regular basis. I was thinking of going into Oregon State Police for a year or so and then transferring to the Deputy U.S. Marshalls service/FBI. The alternative being trying to become a lawyer. Thoughts?

• 0110
    Best Answer

You raise your chances for Fed LE, especially FBI if you have at least 3 years work experience in your field doing something like auditing, which counts as investigative experience, in your case.

Or the chances are even better if yuo have a law degree and some experience.

Depending on your assignment OSP is OK for the 3 years of investigative experience needed for FBI.

marshals service would like the police background, nto matter what the assignment but the best way to get into the marshal service is to have the basic requirements and have some political clout behind you, such as you natianl representative or senator. Does not help with FBI I but Marshals are very political.

A lot of people working in federal law enforcement are lawyers

My uncle was a lawyer then became Chief Probation Officer for the Ninth Circuit Federal Court back in the 1970s so he was both a lawyer and a federal law enforcement officer

• WRG

That's i to you.

You can if you want.