When sorting books by author alphabetically, do you use first names, last names, or both?

I am organizing my book, and want to do it by using the author's name. I want to know if I should use their first, last, or both names.

• Sandy
    Favorite Answer

Most people, and libraries, sort alphabetically by last name, then first name.

Collins, Jackie

Colling, Suzanne

King, Stephen

King, Tabitha

Patterson, James

Patterson, Richard North

Last name. If two authors have the same last name, then sort those by first name.

Most bookshops and libraries will go by surname and then first-name, most likely because authors are more likely to have the same first-name than they are to have the same surname.

• Marli

Libraries shelve their fiction books alphabetically by last name. If two last names are the same, the book with the first letter of the first name is shelved on the left of the other.

Dolman, Beverly; Doyle, Arthur Conan; Doyle, Roddy.

Most people would sort them by surname, then by first name if two or more authors have the same surname.