promotion image of download ymail app

How to legally obtain a pre ban full auto mp5, and what's the most inexpensive way to do it?

I have purchased many fire arms. There is one gun that I have always wanted, but never knew how to obtain. A pre ban mp5, that is full auto. I see several videos on YouTube of individuals who purchase them, and hear their praises sung all over the internet. The question is how to I buy one? I know it will take alot of paperwork and a tax stamp. What else? Also would it be cheaper to buy an already full auto one, or buy a semi mp5 and then order pre ban full auto parts and get the tax stamp then? I know transactions like these are where you need to be SUPER careful to not mess anything up. So how do I do this legally? Which ways cheaper? How many grand will it cost about? Thanks!

4 Answers

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    I'm going to try to answer you with a straight face.

    First of all, the concept of "pre ban" indicates you don't know the difference between the AWB of 1994 and the FOPA of 1986. Which is fine for those who are not getting into NFA firearms. Most people don't have a clue and don't need to.

    However, if you ARE getting into NFA firearms, you'd better damn well know the laws which govern them or you WILL find yourself at the very least on the receiving end of a fortune-eating prosecution which, even if you win, will cost tens of thousands of dollars.

    Second of all, the ONLY full auto MP5 would be one manufactured and registered before May 19, 1986. So you're kinda off base with all that "pre-ban" stuff...since the AWB of 1994 did not and does not apply to NFA Title 2 Firearms. Different body of law, different set of firearms. You really should read up on that.

    As you already seem to know about being SUPER careful not to mess anything up, it behooves you to at the very least google "Firearms Owner's Protection Act of 1986", and maybe the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the National Firearms Act of 1934 (which is where the Tax Stamp originated, by the way).

    And since you're so into reading, I recommend Title 26 of the United States Code.

    But let's move right along.

    If you purchase a "semi-auto MP5", it will actually be an HK-94, and if it is actually a Title 1 firearm (this is one of those reasons why you need to read up -- so you will understand the difference between a Title 1 firearm and a Title 2 firearm, among other things), it will have a 16 inch barrel in order to NOT be a Short Barrelled Rifle.

    If your final goal is a full auto MP-5, let's look at some real life costs. Let's go shopping.

    Current price for an MP-5 I'm seeing is around 32,500 dollars.

    Current price for an HK-94, non SBR I'm seeing is around 4,000 dollars.

    Current price for an H&K Fleming autosear NOT in a gun is around 26,000 dollars.

    Current price for an MP-5 barrel is around 200 dollars.

    Current price for an MP-5 Trigger Pack is anywhere from 150 to 300 dollars, depending on origin and configuration.

    Tax stamps are 200 dollars.

    If you choose to start with the HK-94, convert it to an SBR, that means you have to get a tax stamp for the SBR from the ATF, then purchase the MP-5 9-inch barrel (techincally 8.9 inch) and have it installed by a competent gunsmith. There is no way to give you a reliable price on gunsmithing without knowing your geographical location.

    Then, you must acquire a SECOND tax stamp for the autosear, whether it is a Vollmer or Fleming, or even a Ceiner - market price on the autosears is variable - upwards.

    Once you have the second tax stamp and the autosear, you need to purchase the trigger pack.

    Once you have the SBR with tax stamp, the autosear with tax stamp, and the trigger pack, you can go to a gunsmith who can assemble it properly for you, which includes timing the autosear -- again, no idea how much this would cost in your area.

    Once all that is done, you will have an MP-5.

    OR you could just purchase a fully assembled MP-5.

    That being said, I know of at least one individual personally who went the SBR/Ceiner Autosear route and ended up paying only about 17,000 for his build. But that was about 8 years ago and prices have gone up since then. Back then an MP-5 was about 22,000.

    NOW the MP-5 is at 32,000

    And autosears not in guns are harder to come by.

    It's all about supply and demand.

    Any way you slice it...bring about 35,000 dollars to the table in order to purchase one of these, however you decide to do it.

    Good luck.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    You start by being a resident in one of the 39 states that allow them.

    Then you visit a Class 3 SOT local dealer and discuss what is local for sale and available.

    The cheapest full auto you will find is the Mac10/9 at $3500 to 4500 used. A well used M-16 will start at $9K to $18k for one new in the box.

    With luck, the dealer will know of one local that can be transferred in just 9 months. Otherwise the paperwork has to be done to transfer one to your dealer - about 4-5 months - then to you - 9 months.

    If you don't have $6k to $20K handy - don't bother wasting anyone's time

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    The mere fact you are asking such a question shows you have little to no knowledge of firearms or the laws surrounding them. You are an idiot at least and a liar at most.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • WayneH
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

    Get your Class III FFL. And a lawyer. Google it for the total cost.

    • Lv 4
      4 years agoReport

      A FFL and a Class III SOT is not required to own one. Those are for people in the business of buying and selling them.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.