Atheists, are you generally in favor of income tax cuts in exchange for cutting entitlements?

Favorite Answer

Yes.

I also believe that taxes should be fair. A flat tax would force people to pay their fair share of the tax, and maybe then they will see what it is like to actually pay taxes and not have everything handed to them. Then they can quit whining that the rich pay no taxes and realize that they were pretty much paying for everything.

My whole thing is that I want upward economic mobility to be achievable again. The understanding used to be that if you work hard, you can get out of poverty. That isn't true for most people anymore. There are exceptions, but they tend to either be people with some innovative idea, or get a scholarship. For the average person, working two minimum wage jobs will never bump you up into the middle class, or be considered a qualification for anything beyond perhaps assistant manager at one of them.

So, I'm generally opposed to making the poor poorer or making education more expensive. I want anyone willing to work 40 hours per week to also be able to go to school and earn their way into a better life.

I don't believe in any sort of universal "solution" on taxes. There's no magic bullet to fiscal policy.

For example, having no national debt is bad (it leads to recessions). And having a huge national debt is bad too. But there's a large range of good levels of national debt. (Just as, for an individual having no credit can be as bad as having terrible credit.)

So, the priority of balancing revenue and expenditures is to keep the country in that good range. Sometimes, yes, you'll need to cut taxes and entitlements. But, other times you may need to raise taxes and increase entitlements. (Or even cut taxes and increase entitlements at times.)

• tro

I don't see that atheists are specifically ones to relate to regarding tax cuts or entitlements, they are like anyone else when it comes to paying or cutting taxes and getting or not getting entitlements

No. I am for political resolutions to resource allocation and sufficient taxes to finance public enterprises and service debt at normal interest rates.

A society with unbreachable class divisions threatens national security. Political means of increasing security should be sought.

No. I am not in favor of anything that shifts the tax burden from the wealthy to the middle class, as those tax cuts always do.

Yes, but only for corporate ,

agribusiness, military-industrial complex

and wealth entitlements.

I think feeding poor people

and providing education and health care

for all,

are wonderful uses for taxes.

--

Regards,

John Popelish

• Archer

So who do you think is going to pay for those entitlements for the government actually has no money of it's own!

I am generally in favor of reducing government handouts via better methods of catching people who get them illegally/fraudulently.

No, not really. there is plenty of wasteful spending the government does that we don't need to target the most vulnerable among us for a very small gain.