Can I get a tattoo in California at age 17?

So for my 17th birthday, I want to get a tattoo. I live in California. I've read various articles and whatnot and it kinda confuses me; some say I can't get any at all if I'm under 18, other places say it's okay as long as I have written consent, others says as long as the parent is present during the procedure, etc. Some articles are a little old and California seems to change laws often, so I really need to know.

With parental consent, yes. Any reputable shop will not tattoo you without parental consent until you're 18. Sure, you could do one of those craptastic stick-n-poke DIY tattoos in some loser's garage...but why would you want to do that?!? Those always look like @$$, and come with HUGE health risks! Just ask your parents to sign the permission slip from your local tattoo parlor, or be patient and wait another few months until you turn 18.

Sorry, but legally you have to be 18 in California to get a tattoo. You could, with parental permission go out of state to get a tattoo.

Hello, my name is Christopher! It is also a Class B misdemeanor to sell tattooing or piercing equipment to a minor. Tattooing and Body Piercing of a Minor. It is illegal to tattoo, body pierce or pierce the ears of anyone under age 18 without the consent of the minor's parent, guardian or custodian. Therefore if you honestly can't wait, you should bring a legal guardian.

I would personally say to wait. It's only one year from now in that time frame, you can decide what tattoo you want. You don't want to regret it later in your life. I would just say wait, okay? But you can do whatever you want. I care, so you should wait. Give it some thought before you put permanent ink on your skin.

Source(s): Best Wrong
  • Joe B

I'd wait. It's such a permanent thing and a lot of people will judge you for it. Plus, if you wait until around 25, when the body stops growing, you won't have to worry so much about it stretching or fading.

Learn how to tattoo yourself. It's like the same for smoking as a kid. The police won't care.