Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 5 years ago

Why is it "bad" to be liberal?

Definiton:

lib·er·al

ˈlib(ə)rəl/

adjective

adjective: liberal

1.

open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.

"they have more liberal views toward marriage and divorce than some people"

favorable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms.

"liberal citizenship laws"

synonyms: tolerant, unprejudiced, unbigoted, broad-minded, open-minded, enlightened; More

permissive, free, free and easy, easygoing, libertarian, indulgent, lenient

"the values of a liberal society"

antonyms: narrow-minded, bigoted

(in a political context) favoring maximum individual liberty in political and social reform.

"a liberal democratic state"

synonyms: progressive, advanced, modern, forward-looking, forward-thinking, progressivist, enlightened, reformist, radical

"a liberal social agenda"

antonyms: reactionary, conservative

of or characteristic of Liberals or a Liberal Party.

adjective: Liberal

(in the UK) of or relating to the Liberal Democrat Party.

adjective: Liberal

"the Liberal leader"

THEOLOGY

regarding many traditional beliefs as dispensable, invalidated by modern thought, or liable to change.

2.

(of education) concerned mainly with broadening a person's general knowledge and experience, rather than with technical or professional training.

synonyms: wide-ranging, broad-based, general

"a liberal education"

• WB
    Favorite Answer

It's not! Nor is it bad to be conservative. It's the extreme nut jobs on the left and right, that are messing up this country/world.

(I'm the Asker) —Alright, I'm getting the jist/gist of what you mean, but there's an extremist side to everything.

And if they go against the definition, then they technically can't be considered Liberal, right? I'm new to this sort of subject, because I overall didn't really care.

I do believe in progressing into a newer age where the new generation is open-minded, independent individuals. I'm not so sure. Like, I believe in freedom of speak and expression, but not to the point where hate speech of anything is condoned (What I mean by that is when it's extremely opressive, or raises suspicion that an act of violence would occur), or threats. As I said, I'm new to this but I'm interested in hearing opinions. I do not tolerate ignorancy, though. However, I would rather much prefer them to educate themselves on the matter on both sides.

So, maybe, it's not technically wrong to be Liberal, as it's the ones going against the definition who are in the wrong.

• ck4829

"Liberal economic policy brought us Communism--and millions of innocent deaths."

Liberal economic policy in the 1840's was the policy that said the poor should be working in factories and mines 12 hours a day at high risk to themselves for the equivalent of a quarter a day? I don't think so. That was the policy that led to people wanting communism.

Because today's Progressive Liberals bear no resemblance to that dictionary definition you listed in your question. Tolerant, open minded, enlightened? Baloney. They are intolerant of any criticism of their policies which seem to consist mainly of plugging for an all powerful Government to run all phases of peoples lives. Big brother knows best.

They promote diversity which is a weakness.

They don't care if whites become a US minority in a nation founded and built by whites.

They think good intentions are more important than results.

They oppose common sense sayings like: people are tribal by nature, birds of a feather flock together, blood is thicker than water, good fences make good neighbors

They don't want to take personal responsibility; they want the government to look after them

It isn't bad in the slightest. I'm very proud to be a liberal and a socialist. I wear those labels with glee.

Because most of the "new ideas" coming out of the liberal side these days seem to expand government and reduce personal liberty. They are not as tolerant, unprejudiced, unbigoted, broad-minded, open-minded, and enlightened as they pretend to be.

• Bobo

Liberal economic policy brought us Communism--and millions of innocent deaths.

Obama is a liberal and look at race relations in the US--as bad as the 60's.

Basically the problem with liberals is that they do not regard the outcome of their policy as much as they regard the intentions of their policy. A prosperous society includes both conservatives and liberals, when either gain too much power--society falters.

• ?

The reasons for our hundred,s of years of vile racism towards Blacks in particular oozes out of every con post here for ever forget it was conservatives who are yesterday and today responsible starting with their start ing of our Civil War ,Jim Crow and right up to this day

Gazza the puke racist con says diversity is a weakness when as historians attest to,it .is the bases of our greatness.

This pig racist con knocks libs for not caring if whites become a majority which as. Non racists is true .the rest is just more vomit

Paladin is back with his crap about libs making big government and reducing personal liberty.Yes this is true to an extent and it all started when thousands were being slaughtered in their mines and factories of the RobberBarons who were excersizing their personal liberty on the dead bodies ot workers .as usual,the rest of his post is nonsense