No motivation...?

I write stories, and it seemed so good in ny head. But then I lose interest in it quickly, either cause I cannot put it into words or I'm just bored. Then I started on a new story. Then I got bored again. The cycle continues...

Why do I lose motivation quickly? What should I do? I haven't completed even a single book and my dream is to get one published...

Favorite Answer

I have a woman in my critique group who has a similar problem. We think it's because dreaming up the story is fun for her, but writing it down is hard work. She'd rather do the fun part with something new than buckle down to do the work part.

If you're serious about going after your dream, there are steps which make it more likely to happen.

--Before you write, have a detailed master plan. Outline, spreadsheet, synopsis, doesn't matter. Know what happens in every scene, where and when it takes place, who is there, how it stems from the previous scene, and how it leads to the next scene. If you plan at that level of detail, you will never sit before the blank page and think, What now?

--BIC time. No matter what else is going on in your life, make every single day have at least 30 minutes of Butt In Chair. This is time reserved exclusively for writing. No rereading or revising. No research. No internet, phone, games, TV in the background, nothing but you and writing. You can choose not to write, but your only option is to sit there not writing. You can write, and usually will, but if you go over the allotted time, you don't amass credit. You owe the same BIC time as usual tomorrow.

--Green Light Crap. First drafts may be pretty solid or they may be fairly dreadful. Either is okay. What's bad can be fixed or rewritten. Give yourself permission to write crap, rather than being discouraged if your writing isn't brilliant and quitting.

--Keep it to Yourself. Don't squander your enthusiasm about your story by telling it to other people. Write it.

You may want to begin small, creating short stories instead of trying to do one big project. That way you can quickly move to revision and then the publishing. The nice thing about short stories is that you can have multiple stories going at the same time and work on whichever one you're in the mood to do. As long as you keep writing and don't self-edit until the story is done, you'll be making progress.

• Andrew

Everyone wants to spend two weeks in Tahiti but nobody wants to deal with the 20 hour flight. You obviously can't muster up the determination to see a project through. If that's the case then you simply don't have what it takes to be a writer.

• Ad

What Jonathan said; write short stories.

And you can make it easier for yourself by writing fan fiction; that way you can focus on what you want to write as you already have an established setting etcetera.

And when it comes to fanfiction, a mention of

http://www.lspace.org/fandom/fanfiction/index.html

is a good idea methinks (read what one of the best authors of this century and the last thinks of it).

Keep writing. Commit to x number of words per day.

If you're serious about going after your dream, there are steps which make it more likely to happen

I agree writing takes discipline; however, it sounds as if you might have ADD or something. Is it hard to concentrate on other tasks?

Try reading non fiction related to what you are trying to write.