Pyrus
Pyrus asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 3 years ago

Windows 10 (C:\ Drive)...?

Hello everyone. I have a small issue with my Windows 10 64-bit Desktop. The issue is that the C: Drive is taking more and more space every time, no matter what I do.

Note that all my downloads, games, software, files and folders, pictures... I put them all in my D: drive. Note that I have upgraded it last year from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and yes I deleted that Windows.old file.

Although I bought a pretty high spec desktop, I still don't want my C:\ drive to be full so quickly (it's an SSD by the way).

Here are my computer specs:

-Core I7-4790 CPU (8x 3.6 GHz processors), ASUS Brand.

-250 GB (it's actually 223 GB) SSD HyperX for my C:\ Drive

-1 TB Harddisk (D:\ drive where I put everything as explained)

-128 GB RAM

-NVIDIA GTX 970 (for heavy gaming)

Dunno exactly my cache memory, but I specifically asked for a 12 MB cache memory.

Anyway, I don't know what is causing all this size takeover. My only guess is the windows update installers that are not being deleted when updates are installed, which begs the question: Where are these files, and how can I delete them safely? Also, what other files may be taking space discretely?

Thank you :)

@Undisclosed True, I have a lot of save files from Skyrim. 6 GBs worth actually. And my total Document size is 21.2 GBs in total. But assuming I removed it all for a moment, I'd have around 123 GBs space. When I installed Windows 10 however, I had 162 GBs of space. So... Where did all the remaining GBs go? I mean that's like around 40 GBs worth. Documents I can manage, no problem. But it is the discrete number of GBs that is being "wasted" is what concerns me.

Favorite Answer

A lot of the updates increase Win10's footprint, but the biggest culprit will be your Documents folder. For some reason, even though damn near everyone is using a small capacity SSD for an OS drive these days, almost all applications and games now save their settings and state to the %APPDATA% folder in their own subfolders. Got Skyrim? I bet you have 16GB of just saves in there.

I'm having the same issue with my Intel 160GB drive. Due to the regular maintenance and the increased bloat of my OS, I'm hoping to transfer the OS to a new 980GB SSD where it can live by its lonesome and my saves can bloat the thing for years.

That ssd is far too small. you need at least a 500 GB. Regardless of where you load programs it only takes the startup program. All associated library files and required registry entries must load on the system drive along with all the system temporary files.

• Pyrus
      3 years agoReport

Um... That still doesn't answer how I can get more space on my SSD. I'm sticking with the one I have for now, and won't change it any time soon (specially since it's still very new)