Car crash!?

Last night I was involved in a car crash. I was at a red light and was turning right, and I looked around and thought I was clear to turn, but when I turned, I hit the back of a motor cycle. I misjudged his speed, he was going faster than I thought he was. This is my first crash. We are both fine, his bike didn't go down, and it is still rideable. There was some debris on the road, and a police officer came. The guy and the officer were great. Although everyone was fine, I am so freaked out. I keep reliving the accident. How many points do you think I'll get on my license? Any reassurance is helpful, I feel like such an idiot for not seeing him and I'm just so relieved he's okay.

Favorite Answer

Accidents suck. I've been in a fender bender as well. It was my first car and I hadn't had my license for too long. I was leaving the doctors office and I hit a car. I was reversing out my spot, and I made sure to look behind me to make sure no car was there. Then all of a sudden BAM. I hit a lady's car. My car was fine , but her hubcap was pretty crooked and scratched. I just remember jumping out saying I'm sorry over and over. I felt bad cause she had a sick child in the back seat with a fever and it was hot out.

Now I'm not sure how many points I got on my license because of it, but I do know my moms insurance went up, and it didn't go down until a year later :/

But listen, accidents happen! They happen everyday. so don't beat yourself up over it. Just be happy that you guys' vehicles are still driveable and most importantly everyone is okay.

It happens, and that's why you have insurance. Don't beat yourself up over it, almost everyone who drives has been in at least one accident in their lives.

The points depend entirely on what you're convicted of and where you live, both of which you completely forgot to say. But don't worry so much about that, because nobody ever lost their driving privileges due to one minor traffic violation.

Nobody got hurt in the accident, and that's the important thing.

Where I live, you would be cited for 'Failure to Yield'. The number of points ANY charge carries, and how many point result in a license suspension differ by state in the US and by country outside of the US.

Source(s): I was turning left in February.
  • DEE W

Try to settle it out of pocket. Get the other guy to sign a release. That way it will stay off record. You rear ended a car because he was going faster than you thought? If that was the case you would not have rea ended him.

• Stella

Depends where you live, it s likely to be a ticket for following too closely, probably 3 points.

Stuff happens, you were lucky all things considered.

• Dan

Report this to your insurance company so that they will cover you if the guy later sues you for damage he claims he didn't see at the scene.

And be more careful.

Points are insignificant. You can't change it and you can't remove them so just take it and next time, be more careful. You could have killed that guy on the bike.

I am just curious how you ran into the "back" of a motorcycle if it was going faster than you realized, unless you pulled out as he was going by you and you knocked him sideways. Otherwise you would have to be going faster than he was if you actually ran into him from behind while you were making a right turn.

You are very lucky. You could have easily killed the motorcycle rider. Just be thankful it wasn't worse and pay attention when you drive.

Wow