Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 5 years ago

NYC HIGH SCHOOL SOPHMORE TRANSFER?

I am going into my sophomore year of high school in NYC, so I was wondering if it is possible to transfer schools over the summer or transfer during my sophomore year. If possible, can you tell me the process of transferring as a sophomore. The schools that I am interested in are Fort Hamilton, James Madison, Midwood, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt High School.

This question is for LJ. I went on the NYC DOE school search and it stated "Notes: Citywide High School Choice." What does this mean? In addition to that I do not a zoned High School. Does this mean I can go to any High School of my choice.

• LJ
    Favorite Answer

Unfortunately, the way to do a sophomore transfer is to apply in December of freshman year and find out in March, just like the way you applied to high school in the first place. It is now too late for you to do a sophomore transfer.

Source(s): I'm a recently retired NYC public school teacher.

You can't transfer after freshemen year for NYC Public High Schools since the application process is only for eighth graders and freshmen wanting to transfer the year after. It's unfortunate, but that's what usually happens. You can probably move farther from your school and maybe get a transfer hardship if it's possible or if your parents give in (kind of doubtful that's possible, I'm sorry?) Anyways try to do the best you can in your high school and good luck in life!! :)

P.S. If you're a student from another state or country moving to NYC for high schools then you get put into your zoned school unless it's Manhattan but you would have to ask the office about that since I don't know too much about that. Sorry and good luck!