Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Should the U.K withdraw from the European Union?

I am a EU citizen (not U.K), and i believe U.K will be better off staying in the European Union.

• Lesley
    Favorite Answer

I'm a U.K. citizen and I believe we should leave the E.U. Here's why I think that:

I'm old enough to remember what it was like when the U.K. joined the Common Market and the benefits that brought. I'm also old enough to understand why we did the right thing in refusing to take on the Euro. I think the Euro is doomed, and with all the new (and impoverished) countries from Eastern Europe desperate to join, I foresee huge debt, which the U.K. and the other wealthy members will have to pay for.

I also think the European Union has spiralled out of control and is far too big. Greed and political ambition seem to be the driving forces. People seem to forget about the rest of the world, when it comes to trade. And look at those European countries who are not part of the E.U. and who do very well, thank you, when it comes to trade.

However, the primary reason I will be voting to leave has to do with sovereignty and the necessity for the U.K. to be in control and make its own laws and legislation. I'm sick and tired of the nameless, faceless and unelected E.U. mandarins who tell us what we can and what we can’t do. The impact on our border controls (or lack of it) will only get worse - much worse.

It seems to me that what France and Germany failed to do by force (think Napoleon and Hitler) they are now trying to achieve by stealth. If the U.K. stays we will be the laughing stock of Europe and totally disempowered.

P.S. If you are French, Henri, please do not take offence at my last paragraph. It's just that people seem to forget history and the naked ambition of countries that want to be in control of everybody else.

U.K. Should be ok to get visas when they need to travel to Europe.