Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 5 years ago

My cat tested positive for feline aids virus recently & it's been a rough road ever since. How do you think my cat could have contracted it?

As far as I know, he's not a gay cat and I've always viewed him as an alpha male. He loves to cruise the neighborhood looking for female cat's in heat, as he is a tomcat. Could he have gotten it from street fighting other cat's and exchanged blood that way?

Favorite Answer

dont touch me there that is my no no square

Source(s): tru dat

I am sorry for all these rude answers. Some people care about animals more than others. There is not anything inherently wrong about having an outdoor cat, I have one myself, so don't feel like this is your fault. AIDS is not necessarily transmitted through homosexual activities. It was likely passed through fluids and a fight could allow for that. I would get a second opinion from another vet and ask them while you are there.

ALL info on FIV is readily available online, there's over 40 years of research done, and it's pretty cut and dried as to what it is and how it's gotten.

Yes, it's passed through bites. No most cats don't die from it, they die of something else because their immune system won't protect them as well.

Gay has nothing to do with it. The fact you felt the need to include that in your post makes me think you're trolling instead and are just looking to get a rise out of people.

• J C

It's a lifestyle disease - it is spread though fights with other FIV infected intact males. You now need to be responsible and 1) get him neutered 2) keep him indoor so he doesn't infect other cats and 3) be aggressive on his health care, as a cat with FIV has a compromised immune system and can't fight of minor things that another cat would.

• Sage

Hello! The AIDS virus can only be spread through blood and sexual fluids. HIV/AIDS isn't a strictly gay disease - sexually active gay men tend to pick it up more due to have anal sex primarily, and the anus is more vulnerable to STD's and other viruses. Females can also carry the HIV/AIDS virus, so it's likely that your sexually active cat picked it up from one of the girls he's mated with.

Now that he has a diagnosis, its VERY important that you never let him simply cruise the neighborhood gagain, or he'll infect other cats. Keep him indoors, or supervise him! It's safest for everyone.

• Ocimom

Feline aids is NOT the same way human aids is, but if he was an outside cat, he could easily pick it up from other stray cats (males or females). Has NOTHING to do with sex either. He also may have FELV and FIP from being outside and having contact with unvaccinated cats.

You are a very ignorant person. Do you think only homosexuals can get AIDS? How offensive!

Do you feel good about being responsible for unwanted stray kittens being born on the streets, many probably dying without proper medical care and food, all because you're too irresponsible to neuter your cat? Shame on you.

Source(s): Common sense

Why you so irresponsible to let your male cat impregnate female cats that's crazy you're a real trooper for the add to the cat population that's sad

Typically, it's transmitted in ways that are somewhat similar to how humans get HIV (other than sexual contact, that is.) Primarily, they get it from biting and scratching. A cat's blood-tainted infected saliva enters the body of another cat through scratches or bites. Some pregnant cats also transmit it to the kittens in their uteruses.

• ellen

I hope just a sad, pathetic troll and not a person with a real cat with this disease that actually truly meant to say he's not gay. If so you're either just an uneducated, unintelligent moron, or you're an uneducated, unintelligent, hateful piece of **** moron. Anyone that still believes that AIDS has anything to do with being gay needs to wake up and educate themselves. That's just sad.

• ?

Same way any other cat gets it through fights or via mating with an infected females. The virus is spread through body fluids like saliva/blood/semen/etc of an infected animal.