Friends Mother being sued for 50,000$?

My room mates mother was in an auto mobile accident and was sued for 50,000$ dollars, now the accident was the other lady's fault, she even tried lying to the cop about it being my friends mothers fault when the cop saw the entire thing, do to driving behind my friends mom, anyway she won and is now getting 50,000$ from and accident that was her fault, shouldn't the judge had seen the police report and not have given her the money? The other question is the Mother is dying sadly, when she passes will my friend have to pay that women the 50,000$?

The reason I ask, is that where both 21 year old room mates, I work at a factory and she works at an ice cream shop, We cant afford to pay this money, and I cant stand seeing the person at fault winning that money, I want to find a way to turn over the case so that woman doesn't see a single penny.

I should of added that my other concern is that the case had ended and the lady is being awarded the 50,000$ that she was suing for, I wanted to figure out how to stop that, because it makes no sense how she won. It wasn't the mothers cause of the accident clearly so its just weird that the judge sided with the other lady.

• Squid
    Favorite Answer

You don't take on the debt of your relatives when they die. Whatever money they owe comes out of their estate, and there might not be any left to inherit. But if the net balance is a debt, it just get written off as a loss.

Your story sounds fishy. If you are sued, you get the chance to show evidence and give your side of the story. Mom could have shown the police report to the judge. Did this lady just call you up and claim she won and you owed her 50k? Tell her to F'off.

• Aubrey4 years agoReport

Also her children where not seat belted in, How could a judge side with her when she was in the wrong.

Let the insurance company lawyers figure this out.

• Aubrey4 years agoReport

I understand, Just I feel like I should help.

You will not be responsible for the debt. If the person being sued dies, no money will be paid to other person if there is no money in her estate.

• party

This doesn't affect you at all. Your friend's mother will need to hire an attorney who can review her case and advise her of her options.

• Aubrey4 years agoReport

I understand, I just hate seeing things like this happen, and feel like I should help.

The 50K will be a debt of the estate of the mother when she dies, it gets paid prior to any inheritance happening.