Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOther - Sports · 4 years ago

What is the best rifle caliber for precision shooting to 1 mile and further?

Looking for a caliber that is relatively cheap to purchase and/or has comparatively inexpensive and readily available materials for hand loading. So, immediately, 338 LM and 50 BMG are out! Suggestions? Also, when judging how efficient ANY round will be at a distance, is muzzle velocity,ballistic coefficient, or other more important? What is the formula?Thank you, guys...

Should ALSO add relatively good barrel life to the equation

OK, getting tired of the intentionally abusive and unhelpful responses. I AM new to long-range shooting. I have only gained recent interest in the field after having taken deer-sized game at 300 yards for years now. I ask ALL questions anonymously, so please don't assume I am trolling. If I knew the answers to these questions, I wouldn't be asking them. One can be thoroughly competent in one facet of shooting, and a complete novice in another. For anyone TRULY attempting to help, thank you much.

Favorite Answer

When you consider cost, just about all bullets and brass 30 cal and below cost the same. Barrel life, slower is better, but you need fast to get to a mile and beyond. I think you'll just have to deal with shorter barrel life. But consider, even 'short' barrel life is around 2,000 rounds, and you will spend much more in 2000 rounds of ammo than you will on a new barrel. Also, to get to those ranges, you need a heavy, slippery bullet. Those are expensive. JLK, Berger VLDs, and Lapua Scenars are what you'll be shooting, and the bullets alone cost more than a hand-loaded 308 Win with Hornady AMAXs.

What I'm trying to say is that distance costs money. You can do some things to cut cost, but in the end, you're gonna need an expensive scope, an expensive rifle, and expensive ammo.

I've only shot at 1000 yards, but even when I did my best to cut cost, I still had a $2500 rifle in the end.

Sound barrier is where bullets get funky. There's only maybe 50-100 yards more of usable accuracy once the bullet goes below the speed of sound because of the 'kick' in that transonic zone. A mile is 1600 yards or so.

Contenders:

300 Win Mag / 300 WSM / 300 RUM- Advantages: tremendous ballistics. Disadvantages, shorter barrel life. Sound Barrier at 1700 yards

7mm Rem Mag - Advantages: Lower recoil, good ballistics. Disadvantages, even shorter barrel life, Sound barrier at 1600 yards.

6.5x284 - Advantages: even lower recoil, popular for competitions. Disadvantages, still a shorter barrel life. Sound Barrier at 1600 yards

6.5 Creedmoore - Advantages: common components, lower recoil, popular with tactical shooters, box ammo. Long barrel life Disadvantages: inferior ballistics to the magnums. Sound Barrier at 1400 yards.

308 Winchester - Advantages: very cheap ammo, low recoil, easy to reload, can buy components in a store. Disadvantages: Runs out of steam much sooner than more modern cartridges. Sound Barrier at 1100 yards.

In comparison, 338 LM - Advantages: Amazing ballistics. Disadvantages: High recoil. Very expensive ammo, even for reloaders. Limited rifle choices. Short barrel life. Sound barrier at 1750 yards realistically, claimed 1950 yards with Berger Hybrid OTMs.

50 BMG - you know all the advantages and disadvantages. Sound barrier at 2550 yards.

• . Thank you for your time, and a well thought out suggestion. Many don't seem to grasp the idea that I AUTOMATICALLY ASK ALL OF MY QUESTIONS ANONYMOUSLY, and that I am not trolling. I have been taking deer-sized game from out to 300 yards for years,so YES, I can shoot a rifle.

! mile? When you wake up from this dream - let us know. Since I seriously doubt you could handle a 22 rimfire at 50 feet with any competence.

Even if I handed you a $3500 custom 338 Lapua and 10 boxes of ammo at $140 a box of 20...... you would probably seriously hurt your shoulder and spend the next 2 years in physical therapy getting over the shoulder damage.

You start by being a decent marksman on a small cartridge, then work you way up to larger cartridges - and it needs to be don't at actual 600yd ranges so you learn how to deal with wind, weather, sun, mirage, etc. You don't just wake up one morning, go buy the most expensive running shoes and take on a marathon.........unless siting along side the road, puking out your guts, still in sight of the start line with everyone laughing at you is what you wanted.

While I have no personal experience shooting beyond about 25 yards, I have read extensively on the subject. Without a doubt the .477 Chiknchoker is the preeminent long distance cartridge in the world today.

• The people actually capable of precision shooting out to 5280 feet already know the best calibers/cartridges for the job. Since you're asking here while hiding your name it becomes obvious that YOU aren't in the club.

Sounds like the best rifle caliber for you is airsoft.

• C T M

The 577/450 Martini Henry is perfect for you. Go buy one, now.

If you had a clue about shooting at one mile you would not be asking here. Go away, troll.

Anything that is commonly used for unicorn hunting would be a good choice.

Have a look at 7mm stuff. 7mm projectiles tend to have fairly low BCs.

• Thank you for an honest attempt to help. But I will need HIGHER BC and velocity to go to extended ranges. Fairly unfamiliar with anything aside from 30-06, 308, 22 (hunter), but I am interested in GETTING INTO the sport of long-range (for anyone else reading), as I am COMPLETELY new to it. Thanks :)

You are one giant DumbAzz.

• Lv 7
      4 years agoReport

I REPEAT, YOU ARE ONE GIANT DUMBAZZ. A 12 year old troll. Get it Whory your anon is a dead give away.