Question about Steam/PC gaming?

Hey to anyone reading this! I just have a couple of question regarding pc gaming. Long story short I have always played console (PS4, PS3, XBOX ONE, XBOS 360) but I'm finally able to play pc gaming now. I have always had a passion for building PC's for editing but I finally did my first gaming build!

My first question is, is steam pretty much like xbox live and play station plus where your steam ID/gamertag comes with you in everygame so that no one else can take your name or not? If not how does it work? My last question is for the pc people will i notice a huge difference in quality and how it runs compared to say my xbox one or ps4. Here are my build specs btw. Thanks for your time.

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB

CPU Intel Core: i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core

CPU Cooler: Shadow Rock Topflow SRI CPU Cooler

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB)

SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB 2.5” Solid State Drive

Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB 3.5” 7200RPM Hybrid Internal

Motherboard: Asus Z971-PLUS Mini ITX LGA1150

Powersupply: EVGA SuperNova GS 650W

Case: Corsair 380T Mini ITX Tower

Mic: Blue Yeti

Headset: Logitech G930

Monitor: BenQ 24” Dual (24” x 2)

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma

Capturecard: Avermedia Live Gamer Extreme

Favorite Answer

To address your first question: Steam has a few identification means, first being your username which is used specifically to log into your account. This is unique to you and no one else can have the same user name, and to the best of my knowledge only you can see it (it's not listed anywhere else unless you list it elsewhere). Second is your steam community URL. Again this is unique to you and once you select it you can't change it. The URL is associated with your profile for use in the community through the Steam client or web browser. Essentially your URL is a public name linked solely to you, while a username is entirely private. Lastly is your display name, this name can be just about anything you want, even if someone else already has it. It's the name that will appear in-game, and it appears on posts and on your profile throughout the community.

So for example:

Steamcommunity.com/search/?text=Josh&x=0&y=0#filter=users&text=Josh

The above link is a search within the Steam community for all users with the name Josh publicly assassinated with their account. Key word being "publicly" If you real name is Josh and you have your real name set to private, your real name will not be included in the search criteria if someone were to search for you.

The other area where it differs from XBL and PSN is that Steam ID only works within Steam. and Steam is not the only digital distribution client on the market, It is certainly the largest though that sell games not just from Valve, but over 6,000 games from 100s of other developer companies.

EA for example has their own client in which they sell just about all games published by EA, They don't sell non-EA games though.

Blizzard is similar with Battle.net

And of course there are non-client based digital distributors.

For your questions on quality and noticing a difference:

Personally I only notice a difference when I go down in quality of performance. Going up in quality can be noticed but it doesn't feel impactful. Where as going down, you'll immediately pick up on what you've lost. Defiantly so with frame rate; going up from 30 fps to 60 fps you won't notice a difference, but once you get use to 60 fps and you go back down to 30 it will feel like the game is unplayable choppy until you once again get use to 30 fps.

• Josh4 years agoReport

Thank you

That is an amazing computer first of all I defiantly like what you described Steam is a lot like xbox live except for that you don't have to pay an anual fee to use it you just buy the games you want from there and play if it has a multiplayer option it just connects you through their server to others. It is more of a secure option to do gaming on a pc Sorry forgot your second question and the awnser is yes you will notice a bid differnce with what you put into it :D

• Josh4 years agoReport

Awesome thank you so much!