shon asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 4 years ago

Will i gain weight in military bootcamp?

i am only 115 pounds and im leaving this august. PLEASE BE HONEST

Favorite Answer

When I enlisted I had a 28" waist and weighed 128lbs. Reported on 31 July and graduated Basic on 21 Sep. My waist was 31 and I weighed 135lbs. My thighs had also grown to the point that my Levi's were very tight in the thigh. A result of 6 miles a day of double time, most of it with a steel pot on the noggin and a M16 at sling arms. We would sometimes stop at a track and take off the web gear and pots then do a mile on the track with the 16 over our heads.....you know kinda like taking a break from the normal routine.

Ahh the memories, phosphorus melding into the Monterey fog, Drill Sergeants putting us in the thinking position. CS, blowing up Bambi’s dad with a claymore, first aid and how a bandoleer can hold things in place, chow, KP, pots and pans, having the Range Officer screaming cease fire while some idiot is firing on a civilian aircraft ( it was not me ), same thing except it was a yacht in no mans land behind the dunes in Monterey Bay, the guy that got hungry and ate poison ivy, wild pigs in bivouac area, being choked out for not saluting the aggressors flag in escape and evasion......AND WE ALL LIVED, SO WILL YOU!!

They say that in the Army

The Chow is mighty fine

A biscuit rolled off the table

And killed a friend of mine

They say that in the Army

The Coffee’s mighty fine

It looks like muddy water

And tastes like turpentine.

They say that in the Army

The chickens mighty fine.

One jumped up on the table

And started marking time.

Don't think it has changed too awful much since Dino Days, I even throw in a little butt chewing...no extra charge

It might go a little like this:

Up before the sun @ 0430. Also known as O dark thirty

30 minutes max for the 3 S's ($h!t, shower, shave) sometimes the shower is the night before.

Formation.

A little PT: Daily Dozen and Singing “Up in the morning with the rising sun, were gonna run till the running is done” while double timing a mile

Chow: Coming to attention, count off 1 Drill Sergeant WETSU (We Eat This $h!t Up)

Formation

Draw weapons if going to range

Formation

Double time to training site. C130 rolling down the strip, airborne daddy gonna take a little trip.

Train

Chow

Train

More PT Drill Sargent We Eat This $h!t Up

Double time back to barracks. I wanna be an Airborne Ranger, lead a life of death and danger, I wanna go to Viet Nam, just to kill ole Charley Cong ( I will guess the words have changed)

If weapons were drawn….

Stack weapons

Post guards. Guard relief to the head of Chow line.

Chow

Clean weapons

Have weapon inspected

Turn in weapon

Formation maybe maybe not

1 hour of your time....maybe

GI boots

GI area

Mass Attack on Showers or wait till morning

Write mommy

Lights out 2100

Coma time

"DROP AND GIVE ME 20"

Keep the pie hole shut and listen.

Think out your questions...it's the Army...do not appear that you were not paying attention!!

Do not point at food and ask WTF is that:

If it is a green looking meat like substance that is "Mystery meat". Chow down it's very good for you!

If it looks like lumpy burnt oatmeal it's SOS.

If the SOS is poured over a something ...that is a biscuit not a hockey puck…though it’s hard to tell the difference!

If it is yellow and dry it is cake. Just stick it in a glass of milk, it will be fine.

If it is brown and poured over rice it is chili.....maybe...could be gravy made from left over bacon grease.

You think it will make you fat??

NO PROBLEM! I will just PT you until your legs are wore off to the knee's and your arms to the elbow!!

ARE WE CLEAR??

WELL ARE WE??

GOOD!

Close enough anyway!

A premature welcome to "The Club"!

SSG US Army 73-82

H/4/3 Ft. Ord Jul-Sep 1973

This We’ll Defend

No

Some people will gain weight and some people will lose weight (I did) while they are in boot camp.

Depends. I started at 149 lbs at 6'3". Yes, scrawny. Made weight by one pound. I graduated 13 weeks later at 190, but had the frame to build on. You will gain muscle mass if you train hard, but how much depends on your frame. You would have to be 5'4" and still qualify with that weight. A slight frame with a slight build equals smaller gain in muscle mass. And it also depends on what branch. 8 weeks in Air Force basic won't do a fraction of what the USMC would. Just a few afternoons on the circuit course at MCRD San Diego is probably equal to all the effort put forth in the entirety of AF basic.