Did the IRS want to file a lawsuit against me? is this phone call normal?

So today I received a phone call and got a recording telling me that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) wants to file a lawsuit against me. They told me to call back a certain number and when I tried to it just made a weird noise and I couldn't connect to the people that made this call. Has anyone else experienced that? What should I do? Wait for them o call again?

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

I've gotten calls from them yesterday and again today. My mother said she received the same call last month. Ignore them. It's just a scam. I actually considered calling the IRS or Secret Service but decided against it as I'm sure they are already well aware of this particular scam.

If you owed the IRS money they'd be notifying you via mail; not by telephone. And even if it is the IRS calling you caller ID would show "IRS."

They want your social security number. Never give out your social security number when asked for it unless the people asking have a legitimate reason for doing so. For example YOU call social security, YOU call the IRS, etc.

• Neil

It's "normal" in the sense that it's a very common scam. It's not the IRS calling.

• T

IRS does NOT make phone calls you would have received a letter. Don't know what phone call you received probably some sort of scam.

• justa

NO. It's a scam. The IRS only contacts you by snail mail, no emails and no phone calls

• Bob

The phone call is a scam... google irs phone call. The IRS NEVER calls you the FIRST time to speak with you.

• Mutt

Scam. IRS does not do business like that over the phone or via email. If they were suing you, you would be served court papers.

It's a scam . The IRS won't call you, they send letters. Ignore it.

It's a scam. Read the IRS website and report it https://www.irs.gov/uac/report-phishing

It's a scam. Been all over the net. Ignore it.

• Squid

It's a common scam. Ignore it.