promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 4 years ago

What made the civil rights movement so important?

I am 13. I am doing an essay on the civil rights movement and I need 3 reasons for why the civil rights movement was important. I'm totally stuck. And I need events that happened in the civil rights to go along with each reason, so please go into detail about it. I appreciate the help.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Only three?

1. Dismantled Jim Crow laws in the South.

The Civil Rights Movement in the U.S. dismantled Jim Crow laws in the South. Jim Crow allowed for the systematic repression of African Americans. Some Jim Crow laws include poll taxes and literacy tests that denied African Americans the right to vote. Literacy tests had the potential to deny uneducated white people the right to vote, but whites were often given much easier literacy tests than blacks. Freedom Summer was a campaign through the south in 1964 organized by the four major Civil Rights organizations: Student Nonviolent Coordination Committee (SNCC), Congress on Racial Equality (CORE), Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). This campaign sought to register people to vote who were intimidated or threatened. The idea was if enough people of color actually got the chance to vote the representatives that got elected would be more sympathetic to Civil Rights.

2. Made sure the South enforced Supreme Court decisions that outlawed segregation.

Many important Civil Rights Demonstrations took place after Plessy v. Ferguson, the court case that established segregation, was overturned by Brown v. The Board of Education in 1954. Even though "separate but equal" was unconstitutional under federal law many southern states still enforced segregation of public facilities. This led to the Greensboro Lunch Counter Sit-ins and the Freedom Rides.

The Greensboro Sit-ins took place in Greensboro, North Carolina in 1960. Black students staged a non-violent demonstration at a Woolworth's lunch counter where only white patrons were served. This demonstration caused violent retaliation from white onlookers, but also sparked several other sit-ins in the south.

The Freedom Rides took place in 1961 to force integration of public facilities in the south. Two court cases had already been handed down on the issue, Irene Morgan v. Commonwealth of Virgnia and Boynton v. Virginia, but southern states refused to enforce integration. CORE developed a plan to take a group of blacks and whites through the south on buses. They met violent retaliation; many were hospitalized. CORE actually planned to abandon the Freedom Rides, but SNCC picked up where they left off. SNCC gathered so much attention for the cause that when one group was arrested another group would show up and take their place. Over 300 Freedom Riders were imprisoned at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at one time.

3. Inspired other nonviolent movements in the US.

Though there was a militant Black Power movement, the Civil Rights Movement was largely nonviolent drawing off of Christian ideals and the teachings of Gandhi. The idea behind their breed of civil disobedience was to show the inhumanity of the opposition. When a sixteen year old kid in his Sunday best sitting at a lunch counter reading quietly is beaten by anyone it doesn't reflect poorly on the kid. When a group of people gather to march across a bridge, unarmed, and are met with tear gas who is the victim? Organizations like SCLC also made sure there was media coverage for all the violence committed against them.The tactics used by the various Civil Rights organizations were picked up by anti-war movements in the 60s and continue to be popular with modern movements like Occupy. The Arab Spring uprisings in some countries also employed similar tactics.

Yeah? Good? Sorry if that was more in depth than you needed.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.