Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOther - Sports · 5 years ago

does a colt 45 gun hold a clip or magazine and how many rounds of ammo in the clip?

I am researching a book, I know nothing about guns. Is it a magazine or a clip and how many rounds does it hold?

Favorite Answer

Colt 45 is a malt liquor.

You have a choice. 45 Colt is a revolver, seen in a ton of old cowboy movies.

The Colt Model 1911 and 1911a1 were the handguns of the US Army for decades and chambered in 45 ACP.. They're self-loading pistols fed by a magazine. Typical magazine size is seven rounds. Note that there are other models of pistol chambered in 45 ACP with varying magazine capacities. There's even a two-shot derringer!

The term "colt 45 gun" could mean several different things.

It could be referring to any revolver chambered for the .45 colt cartridge (also called .45 long colt or .45 LC). Many manufacturers other than colt make revolvers in this caliber. Revolvers don't use clips or magazines, but can be quickly loaded with special speed loaders.

The term could also be referring to a 1911 style semi-automatic pistol. The 1911 platform was introduced by Colt and became the standard issue sidearm for the US military for many years. Almost every firearm manufacturing company makes a pistol that copies the basic design features of the original 1911, so again the term could be referring to a gun that actually isn't made by Colt (depending on the context). The original 1911 design was chambered for .45 ACP and used magazines (not clips), You can find handguns that use the 1911 design but are chambered for other calibers, but some people would argue that those are not really a 1911 gun and only the ones chambered for .45 ACP can be truly referred to as a 1911. By the way - the letters ACP stand for "Automatic Colt Pistol"

As a reader, if a book refers to a "45 colt gun" I would picture a revolver chambered for .45 Long Colt caliber. A reference to the use of a speed loader would confirm to me that I'm supposed to picture a revolver.

If the book later referred to a "magazine" to use with the gun I would assume the reference was meant to describe a semi-automatic 1911.

If the book later spoke of "clips" for the "45 colt gun" I would probably just stop reading it, and give the book a bad review online because the author is a moron who shouldn't be writing about guns.

By Colt .45 I assume you mean a pistol like the US army used throughout most of the 20th Century, correct?

If so, it is called a "magazine" not a "clip." It would typically hold 7 rounds in that magazine.

There have been variations over the years, so it could hold 8 as well.

A Colt .45 is a single action army. It has neither magazine nor clip, and was usually loaded with five in order to keep the fixed firing pin resting on an empty chamber when not in use.

• Neither. It's a belt fed Single Action Semi-Automatic Machine Pistol.

• Jeff

Are you reading a book? Or researching to write one? I don't think I'd make it through the first ten pages based on your ability to write a question.

The Colt 1911 semi auto .45 ACP pistol uses a magazine. Most stock magazines for the gun will hold 7 rounds. Some manufactures make a magazine that will hold 8 rounds.

Colt also makes a gun that uses the .45 Long Colt round. It is a single action revolver that hold six rounds. It does not use a magazine or a clip.

Super Squirter watergun. It is the favorite of famous camper and gun expert chris w.

• SM

And I get to add Felicity to the list of TROLLS< SPAMMERS< JACKASS< on the hunting forum. Here we go with a question that is SIX YEARS old !!!! Thanks LN for finding these clowns, guess someone has found a way to rename themselves over and over to award points.... and we wonder why this forum has gone to heII.

• L.N.