Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 years ago

I have a pitbull and walmart won't let me have him in there.?

I have a 7 year old pitbull name Max and he is so calm and friendly he will roll on top of you and lick you. So he is a service animal and I showed walmart the paper work for it and they told me that I can't have him in there cos he is a pitbull. That is so racist. That is like not letting someone in your store cos their black. What should I do?

@DeMoNsLaYeR575 Thanks I did show them that but they told me that I can't have him in there just cos of his damn breed. Racist!

Favorite Answer

If the dog is a legitimate service dog I suggest you contact the local media and let them know that you are having problems with this store. It's amazing what a little public outcry can do to change things locally. The ADA requires you to have access to stores with your service animal unless it poses a problem.

If the dog isn't actually a service dog, it's an ESA or a pet - then they are right in excluding the dog from their premise. If you don't like their practices, then you are free to boycott them and shop elsewhere. A letter or document can be printed out on any computer, so a piece of paper isn't going to necessarily allow you access with that alone.

I've seen TOO many pet dogs trying to go into our local Walmarts under the guise of service animals, so most of the stores are watching closer for fake service animals entering their businesses.

What paperwork did you show them? If it is one of the fake registries and they know it's a scam, they can't be blamed.

Is the dog a service animal because of a disability of yours? What work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Is the dog well behaved or did the dog's behavior cause a problem?

It depends on the answer to those questions whether they are right or wrong. If they are wrong, then individuals who believe that they have been illegally denied access or service because they use service animals may file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice. Individuals also have the right to file a private lawsuit in Federal court charging the entity with discrimination under the ADA.

• Rosie

IF your dog is a legitimate service dog, he cannot be denied.

IF your dog is a therapy dog, emotional support dog, or any other type of self named assistant dog, then he shouldn't be in the store.

That said, I was also told that stores are not allowed to ask what the service is for. At least Costco won't ask.

I asked after a lady was carrying around a little dog, wearing a "Grandmas Princess" jacket, in the food aisle, clearly NOT a service dog of any sort.

I have no problem with dogs in hardware stores, but I don't think any dog, other than legitimate service dogs, should be in the food section of any store or grocery store.

I won't take my dogs in a grocery store and they are very well trained.

• Rosie
      4 years agoReport

That makes sense. I was told by Costco that they won't ask, but I guess other stores can/will.

Racist: Discrimination against black people

Pit Bull: American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pitbull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Bull and Bull Terrier

Service Dog: Dog for the blind/deaf, can go anywhere and everywhere

Emotional Support Dog: A dog that comes with the owner to help with emotions, in other words, a dog that cannot go anywhere a pet can't

If he is a trained service dog and this isn't one of those things that you pulled off from some online site where you can't get any pet to look like they are a "service dog" then you do have legal recourse. But lots because of what the breed is capable of and was created for they can't take any chances or else THEY can be sued They are just covering their butts.

They can't legally keep him out. Walmart is particularly bad about this though. What you need to do is go to the county attorney's offices and ask if they will give you a copy of what charges the department prefers on violations of the ADA. Laminate it and show it to a manager. Make certain it has been signed or stamped by the county attorney. I know people who have done this and had hostile store and gym managers, etc. transform into helpful boy scouts at the threat of fines and jail time.

Since there is no paperwork for service dogs I have no idea what paperwork you can show them. If your dog is a legitimate service dog who performs one or more tasks to mitate your disability it is illegal to deny you access, regardless of the breed of your service animal. In the United States, service dogs for ANY disability that could be helped by a service dog is considered legal (Ex: Allergy detection dogs, hearing alert dogs, mobility assist dogs, guide dogs, psych dogs for PTSD, etc). I would recommend bringing in a copy of the ADA laws and trying to educate them on the laws, if that doesn't work I would contact ADA officials.

• Ocimom

What kind of "service" dog. Pits are not used for normal service animals. If it was an emotional support animal then Walmart has the right to tell you NO you cannot bring the animal in the store. ESA's are NOT service dogs.

Service dogs would be for a wheelchair bound person, blind or deaf person or medial alert type of dog.

His fake paper doesn't make him a service dog. And the fact the he solicits attention is PROOF that hr is NOT a service dog. Keep your PET at home. Hr doesn't belong at walmart

Not take him in there is what you should do. Most stores won't allow dogs in other than something like a Guide Dog for the Blind - so this isn't breed specific I'd suggest. Service Dogs - this is not always true!!