Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 years ago

Why is my car not starting? Has power but cuts off when trying to start?

The vehicle that I have is a 94 ford crown victoria and this morning it wouldnt start. When i turn the ignition on there is power to the dash and i can hear the fuel pump turn on. When i try to start the car all power goes out and then theres no power for a couple of seconds then when i go again there is power. The battery power is a little bit under normal but overall its good. Nothing is dim. Is this a battery problem or a fuse problem? Or are the terminals bad? This had happened a few days ago and it only did it once my dad clean the terminals because there was a lot of acid(blue stuff around it). The battery also has a towel on it to protect it from touching the hood cause its kind of not its battery :/. In college and have class and a test at 6pm wonder if i can fix this real quick.

If there is any more info you need plz ask. I may have omitted some valuable details.

Update:

never mind its completely dead so i guess its battery. But it would do that and i would play or clean the terminal and power would be available and its close to half

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Tony
    Lv 7
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

If the battery is close to five years old (or older) then it's probably time to replace it. You should also look inside to see the water level. Yes, it's not water, it's acid, but if it's low and you can see the tops of the plates then that's likely the problem (low acid).

Something may be causing the battery to overheat - which is the #1 reason why batteries lose their acid; it boils away. Age is another factor.

You also need to check the voltage BEFORE you try to start it. If the voltage is 12.6 volts then the battery is strong and ready to go. If it's down into the 11 volt range then it's definitely discharged and unreliable. Start the car. Jump start it if necessary. Check the battery voltage with the engine running. It should go up to 14.4 at first but after a few minutes it should settle down around 13.6 to 13.8 volts.

Next,with the engine running, turn on all electrics. Check the voltage again. The battery voltage should not go below 13.6 volts. If it does then something is up with the alternator. Could be a bad alternator, could just be a slipping fan belt. If the belt slips then the alternator can't produce its full charge. So watch for a loose belt as well.

One way to check if the belt is slipping is - WITH THE ENGINE OFF - I say that in caps to emphasize this: Never touch moving parts. With the engine off, see if you can turn the alternator. Use a wrench if you need to. Physically turn the alternator. If the belt slips then the crank shaft won't turn. If the crank shaft turns then the belt is not the problem. And if the voltage drops below 13.6 volts then the alternator is probably on the way out - or may have completely failed.

Clean terminals are important. Tight, no cracks, cables in good condition - good. But if the insulation of the cables shows signs of swelling then there's corrosion going on inside the cables, and they will need to be replaced.

You ask if the problem is "This or that", well, I can't tell from here. I'd need to do some testing. However, it's NOT a fuse problem.

• Jason
    Lv 5
    4 years ago

Try jumping it from another car. If it starts, it probably the battery is dead. If not, it's something else.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.