How did the attack on 9/11 only kill 3 thousand people?

I know that 3,000 people is a lot of people, but that is not that much compared to 8 million people living in Nyc. That is not to mention the attack on the pentagon, and the failed attack on the White House that killed 60 passengers on board. I would expect that at least 20,000 people would die from these attacks.

Favorite Answer

It's hard to believe, that with all that sophisticated training to carry out the attack, that they didn't pick two later planes, that would have smashed into the buildings at a later time. .....when the buildings would have been *packed* . Striking *before* 9 am, before everyone was at their desks.........was poor planning on their part.

I once worked in the complex and many people don't sit down at their desks until the last minute.........still grabbing that last cup of coffee before taking the elevators up.

They also struck way too high........90th floor? They could have trapped more people had they struck a little lower..........like they did in the South Tower. But many in the South Tower were already evacuated after the first plane.

Another bit of failure.........they left two much time between strikes.......to allow for evacuation.

Also the ANGLE of the planes......they both flew STRAIGHT in.........(well, the South tower plane dipped it's wings, but still fairly straight in)............whereas had they NOSE dived in , at an angle......they might have plowed thru more floors, in the intial attack.

It also might have caused damage in such a way, that the building might have sheared off, and toppled OVER..........instead of collapsing straight down. Had it toppled OVER........it might have taken 2 or 3 city blocks with it. .....instead of just the buildings on the perimeter.

It was either Dumb luck, or poor planning.........that the Death toll wasn't ten times what it was .

I mean, as it was , still a pretty damn successful attack..........but with a few tweaks...........could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Had both planes, struck Similtaneously, at a lower level, and angled in , and struck at 10 or 11 am......before lunch........

there could have easily been 30,000 dead........instead of just 3,000 .

Edit. : To the chump questioning my answer.......

A.) Nothing I have stated here is wrong. The fact the planes were "delayed", only means the planning was even poorer, if the intent was to kill . Ohhhhh, *YOU* believe the intent wasn't to KILL. I will let the 3,000 DEAD people know that. Regardless of your belief......they killed plenty, including, by the way, my Good friend, Fire Lt. Glenn Perry.....and every last single person on the two planes . Funny , they killed all those people just fine, and nearly killed my sister, also working in the complex at the time.

B.) I have never once said anything *against* the brave men and women who risked, and indeed, some GAVE their lives that day...........but your childish Attacks on me, here , and on other questions, makes me sincerely doubt you were one of them.....because you behave and act like a 3 year old troll. Got any more names you'd care to toss my way Mr. Big Bad Hero? Or should I call you ZERO?

C.) Where have I said one word about fire drills? I said had the planes struck similtaneously......instead of 17 minutes apart......fewer people would have gotten out...........with or without anyone's help. This takes NOTHING away from the rescue personnel who DID help evacuate people.......what's your problem with fact?

BTW,, the *exact* same thing Others here have said........yet, I don't see you attacking them, for saying the same thing.

D.) As for Flying to South Florida......I have better things to do with my time then to deal with your childish threats and taunts. But I will send someone to take care of my lightwork.

You are dismissed.....once again.

Edit #2 ----Bahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! You asked them if they KNEW me?

REALLY???????? You asked them if they knew WEASEL McWEASEL, you clown???

You're too funny. I went to junior high and High school with Glenn you pathetic LIAR. Would you like to know what schools he went to , and what years he graduated? Go troll someone else. You are truly sad and pathetic .

Oh, and you voted to keep me out of your pathetic little Facebook Group that I had ZERO interest in joining anyway......and stated so many times? You mean the Group that everyone said was DELETED by Facebook..................no doubt for your losers Attacks.............like your socks "Tomas" and "Region" and "Joey".

Still claiming I have socks, huh? well, that's all you got, is your pathetic LIES and false accusations and name calling .

Still waiting for you to prove it. ......but of course..........you can't prove your lies.......like you spoke to Glenn's relatives just now, and they VERIFIED for you, that they don't know any WEASEL McWEASEL!

oooohhhhhhhhh...........damning evidence indeed!

what a chucklehead you are. Is this really all you have in your quiver?

Oh, and are you ***STILL**** on about the damn cruise jacket???? What do I care what some idiot decided to sell his for or what you do with it. ??? Does that diminish the one I EARNED thru my years of service?

NOPE-----not at all. So all your whining and bellyaching, and lies, and false accusations about sock accounts, doesn't add up to even one decent SPIT -

But keep ranting...............like you were the only person there that day at 9-11, and they were ALLLLLLLLL saved by YOU. Yeah, sure they were. Except the REAL firefighters that *were* actually there that day, and 343 of them , like my friend Glenn, actually died..........so I guess you missed a few huh, hero?

get out of my face, punk.

Dismissed, AGAIN.

Oh, also notice ya didn't address any of the points I made either about your original rant.

but keep flapping your gums......you might get lucky and start making some sense by pure luck or something.

Edit #3. Damn son........you're about as bright as a black military shoe polishing kit in a dark cave. You back for ***ANOTHER**** schooling?????? wow......you much be a glutton for punishment.

Okay, just to oblige you, because that's the decent sort of chap I am........here's a few more FACTS for you, to counter all your lying and crying........okay?

1.) You and Others *tried desperately* to GOAD me into joining your pathetic little FB Group....after I stated repeatedly, I didn't want to JOIN, after the same people who were "inviting" were the same IDIOTS attacking me on the boards in the Military section........where I was a TC at the time.......accusing me of being half a dozen different people and insulting my service. Why on EARTH would I want to join a Group of such pathetic losers.......who I schooled just fine , right here on Yahoo? Why would I join *another* Group, to take even more of your childish ABUSE , in a different place? So you and all sock "poolee's"..........could have a 20 on 1 gang rape? Nah..........I passed on the "Honor" of being your pinata-...and didn't want you idiots having access to my FB page. I really don't CARE what happened to your little troll club......but for the record.....nearly all of you talked about the Group getting deleted and how you couldn't access it anymore............after posting the link like 200 times. FACT . Now you want to pretend it was really still there all along. Yeah, sure it was............whatever..............I could post all the messages here and make a total liar out of you.........but you're already doing a fine job of that yourself, so why bother ?

2.) I was schooled by an 18 year old ? Really? when did that happen? Do you mean your sock puppet "Tomas", the one who "ordered" me off the boards..........like he owned them? The level 1 idiot.....?

Bahahahahahahahaha. The guy who hadn't even *ENTERED* the Military yet, and thought he was in charge of the Military boards......and could control who posted there or not? Bahahahahahahaaa

I laughed in his face, and posted a question calling him out, which got a lot of good answers........and then he ran off with his tail between his legs......because he looked like the idiot he was.

That must be your idea of getting "schooled".....like you're really "schooling" me here by name calling and lying about me. Sorry, I don't attend your school of idiots and lame sock puppets. Try harder. Bring the other puppet "Region" next time . He was a real prize too . Two lame poolee's acting like they were Patton.

3.) As for my avatar..........Ohhhhhhhh I took it down, after you "embarrassed me" ???? My My......what an over active imagination you have Grandma. ! Good lord man , ---can you talk pure DRIVEL!!!!!

Look around you dude........HUNDREDS of users here LOST their avatars when Yahoo made some new "improvement" for mobile users.......and half the avatars here were no longer compatible with whatever new "improvement" they made. There must be 10,000 questions on the boards, asking why Yahoo stole all their avatars and when can we put another one back. Oh, but according to YOUUUUU.........I personally took it down out of some sort of "shame", over YOUUUUUU????? Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Tell me, do you charge RENT for me to live in your head like this? Still obsessing over my cruise jacket..........still pretending you're right about anything.............still pretending you or your socks have "schooled" me in anything.........dude.........get mental help. There are hotlines for this sort of thing.

Oh and one more thing........I wish you'd stop using my dead friend, to TRY and score your cheap little points..........because everything you mentioned about him, was taken right off this page.

http://www.silive.com/september-11/index.ssf/2010/...

You aren't fit to carry his boots.

I believe *that's* BUSTED. Now blow.

• Weasel McWeasel
      4 years agoReport

you can't leave those buggers alone for a second on the Orlops deck, can you? Well, I suppose a bit of LEAVE is alright..........but I will expect them back at their stations and ready to set sail at my command. I see another squall brewing on the southwest REGION.

It would be like saying "how did the attack on Pearl Harbor only kill 2 thousand and five hundred people?" You pretty much don't really understand the dynamics of the attacks. Keep in mind, the attacks took place in the morning where a lot of people in the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were gone to work. It was only three buildings with thousands of people inside and four airplanes with hundreds of people on board that got destroyed. 20,000 deaths in a single day is what you really expect from a massive strategic bombing raid, not just a couple of buildings destroyed. When the two planes struck the World Trade Center, thousands of people within the towers tried to evacuate out of the buildings, which many did, but there were also those that did not. Those on the upper levels right below where the planes struck were not lucky, as they were stuck due to the fires and the elevators being stranded. That's why a lot of them pretty much jumped out of the towers to avoid being burned horribly to death. Many tried to go down of the towers and did not know the extent of the planes melting the steel which resulted in the two towers collapsing in less than two hours, crushing them to death by the thousands. Add to the fact that hundreds of firefighters and police officers raced to the top of the towers to evacuate as many civilians as possible and died while the towers collapsed. The third plane which crashed into the Pentagon only killed 189 people, including the five hijackers on board and 125 in the building, because it was only the half of the western side of the building that got destroyed, not the entire building.

• Weasel McWeasel
      4 years agoReport

Again, time of day..........had that theater been packed at 9am in the morning.....the Death toll would have been higher.

Although I don't know much about the technical side of these things I was involved in a fair few fire drills in a dual set of buildings at "Princes Gate" in Melbourne, where I worked as the Chief Fire Warden's Assistant. In this role I had to log all the times drills commenced, doors opened, closed, evacuated, etc. (quite a busy time as 14 floors, 2 buildings, one stair well in use in each building). Wheelchair users and semi-disabled people were permitted to use the lifts for drills. The idea was to have a minimum of fire doors opened at any one time, the others firmly kept shut, and to prevent a standstill in the stair wells. As the buildings were quite prominent we received many bomb threats, hosted many suicides etc. The results were quite damning. Cannot recall exact words over the lengthy time periods it took to evacuate these buildings but it was to the effect that if there ever was a fire then approximately half the workers would have died. The buildings (relatively new at the time, not bad looking but obviously not fire safe) were demolished, levelled some years later and the now "Federation Square" occupies much of that space. I totally understand your surprise at only 3 thousand people. These buildings were much, much smaller in height and girth and a fire alone would have quite probably killed the same amount of workers. Although I spent many happy years working there with many friendly, professional people I can only agree that bringing down "BS Castle and the Dandaloo" was the best thing to do.

Maybe if the terrorists had a nuke, that probably would have upped the casualties. The twin towers were able to be partially evacuated before they came down. Yes, a jetliner was able to take out a section of the Pentagon, but not the whole building and the failed attack on the White House (or Capitol Building) was just that, a failed attack just killing the people in the plane.

The 9/11 attack occurred fairly early in the morning, before many people arrived at work at the Twin Towers. Normally, there were about 25,000 people in each tower during business hours. Had the terrorists waited a few hours, the death toll could have been close to 50,000 instead of 3,000.

Many call it a miracle.

At a time when every plane was full every time, all three planes were half empty. A nephew had a ticket on one of those flights but his trip had been cancelled last minute.

At a time when most people went to work on time, that day vast numbers called in sick. I know two guys who worked in the towers. One slept late, saw the fires, commuted to the Jersey City alternate location. The other woke from a hangover, saw the fires, put on his EMT badge and headed downtown to man a triage station.

Then again plenty of people did die. A friend if my wife was at his desk early as usual. He was on one of the floors that took a direct hit by a plane. Gone in a flash.

It's also important to note that the towers had annual evacuation drills. That practice made a huge difference in how many got out.

• Mark F

Why would you expect 20,000 people do die? Since that isn't what happened naturally one has to presume your expectations are what is at fault, not the reality of the actual event.

The only opportunities for really mass casualties (beyond a few hundreds) were the Twin Towers and it turned out there was a fair amount of time for tens of thousands of people to evacuate before they collapsed.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN 20,000 PEOPLE

If the planes had struck an hour later and in a more strategic position of the buildings they would have killed 20K.

It is fortunate that they struck initially before many people even arrived at work.

It is also fortunate that the hijackers did not strike the buildings in a lower spot.

This would have been difficult to achieve because of surrounding buildings.

My brother in law worked at the WTC. After the first tower was hit, he and his co-workers in the second tower were told to get out by their office manager. The office manager stayed behind for some reason and didn't make it out before the second plane hit. Many people were able to evacuate before both towers collapsed, which helped cut the death toll. Sorry to disappoint you.

It wouldn't have killed that many if the evacuation order had been given immediately.

Some people were told to stay in place after the first plane hit, and many of them didn't get out.

What makes you think more "should have" died?

• Weasel McWeasel
      4 years agoReport

That man, who disappeared in the chaos probably saved her life by helping her up and practically dragging her to the ferry. She never knew who to thank. ....but still has nightmares of being trampled. She was black and blue all over.........but lived to tell the tale.

That's how many died. The rest were saved or injured.

Ninefinger sounds like a freakin baby. Who the hell cares about some Busted bullshiit like some middle school loser? Geez the mentality of some people.

• Weasel McWeasel
      3 years agoReport

and then I posted the question and everyone acted like idiots , still pretending I was the trouble maker here. Just adding this, since I know I'm about to be asked for PROOF that Region is actually Rajon - today's date....April 2nd, 2017. And here's your proof.