Nini
Nini asked in PetsCats · 3 years ago

I need some emotional help regarding some cats I have: Read on -?

I have been taking care of a stray cat for about 2 1/2 years now. She was feral to begin with but over time she really got to trust me. Her first litter was only 2 kittens (that I know of) and I decided to keep them. I had them tested for feline leukemia and feline aids and they were negative. Her next litter was 7 kittens and someone with a barn took them. Her third litter was 5 kittens and they were born in my basement because the mumma cat got pregnant in the winter so I let her in. I have grown so attached to these kittens and mumma so I had mumma tested first and she was positive for feline aids. All 5 kittens tested positive too and it's been a real heartbreak for me. I am a total cat lover as I have 11 indoor only cats. I found a No Kill Cat Sanctuary at the opposite end of the state I live in and I think that's my only option for the kittens but I'm torn as to whether or not to take mumma. I was going to get her fixed and keep her inside but she would have to stay away from my other indoor cats. Am I being selfish for wanting to maybe keep her or would it be best for her to go to the cat sanctuary too? I'm torn because she always sat on the porch with me, slept on my back deck and came running when I called her name outside. Can someone please give me some emotional support because I'm having a really hard time with this.

Thank you to anyone who can make me feel better.

P.S. I also had already named all the kittens and spend time with them every day.

Best Answer

This makes my heart break. So you sound like an amazing person and a very loving one too, however, for the sake of your cat, she will probably be better off at the cat sanctuary. You aren't being selfish for wanting to keep the kittens and your cat because they are such precious creatures. I just think that they might be happier at the sanctuary. Also, by keeping them, you could be endangering your other cats by keeping them.

Hope this is helpful!

Continue being an amazing person :)

11 cats is simply too many cats. That is animal hoarding. There is no need to keep a litter of kittens, especially not every litter of kittens. I think the animal sanctuary is a good idea. They are very admirable organizations. I had to give my cat to a no-kill animal sanctuary and he was adopted by a family a few months later. You must do what is right for the animals. Hosting 11 cats in 1 home is not what is best for them.