If somebody loses titles or honors because they are accused of something, would they get them back if they were found not guilty?

So this is based on Bill Cosby's sexual assault allegations. I am NOT asking or arguing whether he is guilty or not.

This is about the current responses from colleges, charities, institutions, groups are severing ties with him. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Cosby_sexual_as...

What it states is that universities are revoking him of his honorary degrees, the US Navy took away an honorary title, Walt Disney World removed a statue of him, and things with his name in them are having his name removed from them (e.g. "William H. Cosby Future Filmmakers Workshop" is now just the "Future Filmmakers Workshop), The Cosby Show is no longer being aired on some networks, etc.

I was born after Michael Jackson's 1993 child sexual abuse allegations ended with him found innocent but it was something that followed his name until his death. I can't find anything about him losing any honours though.

If Bill Cosby was found not guilty and everything were settled in his favour, would it be likely for him to get those honorary degrees, US Navy title, and things renamed after him again?

Has it happened with other famous people?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Micheal Jackson never lost any awards or honors. I think the difference here is that part of Bill Cosby's public image was the "nice guy". His stand up act and a lot of his acting career was based on good clean humor.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

That will be up to the universities and organizations that honored him. At his age, I'm sure he doesn't really care, as long as it means he won't spend his final days in prison.

• 4 years ago

Those titles and honors were given freely and they can take them back. Those honorary degrees aren't something he earned.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

US Navy title maybe if earned, academic honorships only at the schools attended. academic institutions run a educational business and need positive public relations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • MadMan
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

He has lost the titles etc. because of the "morals" clause. He does not need to be convicted of anything, he has brought the institution into disrepute.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.