Josh asked in SportsHockey · 4 years ago

If the NHL does not participate in the Olympics, where will the players come from?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Assuming that the European-based leagues are shutting down over the 2018 Olympics, then leagues like the KHL, SHL, and the Swiss League will supply players. For Canada and the USA, it gets a bit hazy. Players under contract with NHL clubs would have to be released (similar to how the U-20 World Junior tournament works). So you could see some AHL players (ones not with an NHL contract), and players from the low minors, the CHL and US college hockey.

The challenge is that the NHL does want to go to China in 2022 (Toronto has already made inroads in China by getting one of their networks to show their games; it's a huge untapped market that the NHL wants to get exposure to), so it's going to be a balancing act in that they can't completely burn the IOC. The problem is that the NHL wants the IOC to pay for transportation costs (which they've done in previous Olympics) and the IOC isn't having it. IMO this is an Olympic tournament put on by the IOC under their rules. As an example, if I travel for work to visit and do work for a client (sole purpose is to visit them), typically the client gets billed for my travel expenses (I pay and get reimbursed by my company who then bills back the client) which would include airfare (in Sochi the IOC paid for chartered flights for the NHL players), lodging, ground transport, and meals.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Deano
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

They will come from the lower level pro ranks and all amateur players finished with junior. They used to ask around fifty or sixty players to commit to the Canadian national team which meant they couldn't jump to the NHL. This is the way it used to go before 1998. All other countries in the Olympics would have similar ways of getting their players. They will all be less than talented compared to the NHL players.

• Mike W
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

If the NHL opts out of the Olympics, European nations can use players from their professional leagues like the KHL. The US and Canada could get some of their players that are playing European professional leagues, and some form colleges and major junior teams.

• 4 years ago

Players can still be scouted for an Olympic national team even if they play for the NHL.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • You might see players from European leagues. The U.S. and Canada teams could also use college and junior league players.

• 4 years ago

Dumpster fires

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

their penises

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.