promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Alan asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 4 years ago

The protestant reformation. Help!?

Okay, I'm a bit lost as to what this is. I was hoping someon could tell me if i'm right or wrong, and if I am wrong, help me understand this.

Protestant Reformation called to action by king henry VIII to remove the religious ties with rome.

If that is correct.

Rome had ties to England, because King Henry married a Spaniard, so england could take part in the nee world, and become a recognisable (state) in eruope.

Is this all correct?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No. That's not correct. The Protestant Reformation began with a German priest named Martin Luther, who began protesting what he saw as abuses in the Catholic Church. These ideas quickly spread and were built upon by other thinkers such as John Calvin. Over the course of the 16th century, many people in Europe abandoned the Catholic Churhc (while many also remained loyla to it).

What you're talking about is a garbled version of the English Reformation. England, like the rest of Western Europe, had been Catholic for hundreds and hundreds of years. King Henry VII, who came to power in 1488, made an alliance with Spain by agreeing to marry his oldest son, Arthur, to Catherine of Aragon, the daughter of the Spanish monarchs. However, Arthur died only a couple of months after the marriage. To keep the allaince going, the monarchs agreed to marry Catherine off to Arthur's younger brother Henry, who was now in line to inherit the throne. But at the time, the Catholic church forbade a man from marrying his brother's widow. To get around this, Catherine testified that she and Arthur had never had sex, meaning that the marriage was not consummated and thus could be annulled by the Church. So she and Henry get married and he becomes King Henry VIII. But after several years of marriage, Henry was discontented. Catherine had not managed to give him a son and heir. She had been pregnant a number of times but had suffered a heartbreaking series of miscarriages and stillbirths. Her only child to live more than a few days was their daughter Mary. Henry desperately wanted a son, and so he began to look to put Catherine aside so that he could marry his primary mistress, Anne Boleyn. Henry argued that Catherine and Arthur's marriage had been consummated and thus the Church should annul his marriage to her (he also seemed to feel that their marriage may have been cursed because of its illegality). The Church held a major trial to look into the King's "Great Matter". Catherine, however, maintained that she had still been a virgin when she married Henry. Ultimately the Church ruled in her favor, a decision no doubt influenced by the fact that Catherine's nephew, the King of Spain, was holding the Pope prisoner during part of the trial. Henry, unwilling to remain married to Catherine, broke away from the Roman Catholic Church, which he had previously defended against Protestantism, and formed a new Anglican Church which was substantially similar in theology to Catholicism but which he controlled and which allowed him to divorce Catherine.

• Alan4 years agoReport

Meant to give you a five

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Um, no. Pretty much none of that is correct. You are extremely confused.

England had had religious ties to Rome for over a thousand years before Henry VIII came to the throne.

Henry did not take part in the Protestant Reformation. In fact, he took action against it.

Henry did break with Rome, but he did not either incite nor follow the Protestant Reformation. The Anglican Church that Henry separated from the Roman Catholic Church was not Protestant. Henry never considered himself a Protestant.

His son, Edward, however, was a different story.

• 4 years ago

No.

Protestants did want the Church in England to reform, but Henry VIII was Catholic, so he resisted their demands. He was even awarded the title "Defender of the Faith" by the Pope for his anti-Reform work.

The Church of England did leave Rome, but, more for political reasons than religious ones. Reforms were VERY limited while Henry was alive. The changes came when Henry's son, Edward IV became king as a very young man. Things changed back when Mary, a Catholic became Queen, and settled in the middle, or "via media" when Elizabeth took the throne. By that time, the Church of England had left Rome, and remained that way, although it did not become truly Protestant either.

• 4 years ago

Up to the 1400s the Roman Catholic Church ruled all of Europe. The time was just right for a 'reformation' and it happened over the next century or so in many places. We give credit to Martin Luther as the first reformer, but I think he was only the first that was successful. But there were others, before, during and after Luther.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protestant_Reformers

My understanding is that Henry VIII instituted the Church of England partly because he wanted a divorce because his wife wasn't able to give him a son, and also because he wanted to confiscate all the church's wealth in England, which was considerable!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.