Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 4 years ago

Can I use a hard drive with Windows on it on another computer?

If I use a computer to install Windows on a secondary hard drive (using a Windows disk). Can I then move that secondary hard drive to another computer and boot up windows? Also is it possible to transfer my operating system over to a different hard drive? Per say I install Windows on a 1tb hard drive but later on a buy an ssd, can I then move my windows operating system over to that ssd?

Favorite Answer

Windows is a one-license, one-computer system. Once it's activated on one computer, it can't be used on another computer without intervention from Microsoft. But if it's an OEM copy, you can't transfer it even by calling Microsoft. So that's the legal end of the question.

The technological end of the question is that if you install Windows on one computer, pull out the hard drive, and put it into a totally different computer, it can't run properly because all of the settings in the windows registry are for the old computer.

As for the new SSD: yes, you can replace the hard drive of a computer and install windows on that hard drive. In this case, all you're doing is replacing a component of the computer it was originally installed on.

It may or may not. You can only try. There may be an issue with default drivers. But to answer your second question, there are many utilities, some that even come with the SSD, that will transfer your OS for you. I've used them myself. I recently replaced my laptops CD drive with an SSD and did this very thing, moving the OS and pointing all my library directorys to the HDD.

A proper way to move your OS drive to another computer is simply reinstall the OS once that drive is there. If you needed to you could partition the drive to have 1 OS for each PC if your moving it back and forth. You can get windows ISOs form Microsoft website. There are also utilites that can give you your key if you don't know what it is.

You can but there r few problems..1st - when u install windows using a computer it will automatically install some of the drives needed so when u put the hdd in a different computer with different specifications it might show a erro message (blue screen while booting) because of the drivers ..2nd if it boot with out any problem then nvr update your windows turn off your windows update ... Cuz 1 product key will work only with one computer

YES you can but there's a chance of failure.

because of the system compatibility so you will often found you computer restart on itself before entering windows.

The only way to make it work is to delete your current account from computer management.

right click my computer -> manage ->local and groups -> delete your current account.

go to system32 type sysprep in the search bar and open the program and change reboot to shutdown and click ok wait till finish after shutdown u can move your HDD to another pc.

when they enter the windows the system will be reset to the first time u used it.

No. You can't move the OS to another machine. But you can copy from one drive to another WITHIN the same machine. Seagate DiscWizard is free software that can be used to do this.

Yes

It will load all the wrong drivers and continuously boot loop or blue screen crash. If you are lucky enough to be able to fix that it will refuse to activate and report itself to Microsoft as pirated.