Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

? asked in HealthMental Health · 5 years ago

Is memorial day just another form of American propaganda?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Naguru
    Lv 7
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It is an age old tradition. Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the people who died while serving in the country's armed forces. The holiday, which is observed every year on the last Monday of May, originated as Decoration Day after the American Civil War in 1868, when the Grand Army of the Republic, an organization of Union veterans founded in Decatur, Illinois, established it as a time for the nation to decorate the graves of the Union war dead with flowers. By the 20th century, competing Union and Confederate holiday traditions, celebrated on different days, had merged, and Memorial Day eventually extended to honor all Americans who died while in the military service. It typically marks the start of the summer vacation season, while Labor Day marks its end.

Many people visit cemeteries and memorials, particularly to honor those who have died in military service. Many volunteers place an American flag on each grave in national cemeteries. The real purpose of Memorial Day is often overshadowed by emphasis on barbecues and mattress sales.

Source(s): compiled.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Not for my family. My father is retired from the military, my brother is currently serving, and my late brother served and was killed in action in 2013. We spend the day together, remembering my late brother being grateful for the time my dad did serve, and making little care packages for my other brother. We do swim, and have a bbq, that does include alcohol, but it's not like we're getting wasted. We celebrate our freedom, and any holiday that brings a family together is a good one to me.

• 5 years ago

It seems that most Americans are just using it as a day off to go drinking and party.

• Hmmmm, do you look good with a Nazi uniform on? Would you prefer to see your mother have her parts cut off her body to see ifthey could be spliced on to an animal?And you have to watchwhile they slice her while she is fully awake??

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Absolutely. 100% certainty

• y
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

According to the left we should be apologizing for what our brave men and women died for.

• 5 years ago

Were you born here in America? If so, show some respect.🇺🇸

• 5 years ago

No it is a day to honor are dead veterans

• DeAnne
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

No, we are remembering the fallen who have died serving our country.

• 5 years ago

Maybe

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.