How can i donate blood for someone if i live in a different state?

My mom has a rare blood type and I have several friends that are willing to

Donate but live in different states. Not sure how to go about doing this.

2 Answers

  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Directed volunteer blood donations are available, but require additional steps.

    If blood components are required for a scheduled procedure, the patients name, date of procedure, medical record number (or other ID) and hospital where the procedure is to take place must be available to the potential donor at the time of donation. The specific blood component(s) required to be shipped by the collecting facility must be known, and the name of the blood center to which the products are to be shipped must also be provided (there may be more than one collection facility is in the region of the recipient). There are additional charges injured by the hospital when receiving directed blood donations, but these are generally covered by the patient's insurance. Understand that it may take at least 2 days for FDA mandated disease testing to be completed, with an additional 1-2 days for shipping from the collection center, to the patient's blood center, and eventually to the patient's hospital transfusion service.

    The logistics for directed donations, along with the extremely low risk of transfusion-transmitted disease, has relegated directed donations to a very rare occurrence. While you have not provided the characteristics that label your mother's red cell type as "rare", all regional blood centers belong to the Rare Donor File, and should have little trouble obtaining compatible blood components in a more timely manner.

    Please contact the Medical Director of Donor Services Manager of your local blood center for specifics on directed blood donations.

    Good Luck

    Source(s): Medical Director - regional blood center
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    I don't have the answer but the Red Cross will. Try googling them to find a number that will lead you to a spokesperson that will certainly solve your predicament.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.