Primo
Primo asked in SportsOlympics · 4 years ago

Are the Olympics going to be cancelled this year?

I heard that there are health issues down in Brazil and the spread of the Zika virus and doctors are saying they should cancel or postpone the Olympic games. Do you think that would happen? I hope not because I don't want to wait another 4 years to watch the Olympics.

Favorite Answer

No, the only times the games have been cancelled is because of war.

Regardless the health conditions or even the lack of finished facilities the Olympics always go on.

The Athens Olympic construction was so far behind schedule the IOC threatened to move the Olympics back to Australia and when Colorado voters refused to pay they moved the games to New York but they will not cancel the games.

The likelihood of the Olympics being cancelled is very slim, being such a large worldwide event, and also the amount of money and man hours that have gone into preparing it means it would cause major economic loss to the Brazilian government if it was cancelled. However the spread of the zika virus, thought not quite as serious as in the Caribbean, is still a major threat to the health of newborns in Brazil. I have heard that various countries are going to be providing contraception designed to prevent the spread of the zika virus, although I am not sure how, or if any any other protective measures will be put in place. I wouldn't worry about not being able to watch the Olympics, but if you go to see the actual event in Brazil, then I would recommend at least trying not to get pregnant.

I very seriously doubt the Olympics will be canceled. Brazil has invested much of its national treasure in them, and the International Olympic Committee's main job, preserving its reputation, is on the line.

It'll happen, even if athletes have to pitch in the build the arenas they'll be competing in.

• jobees

No they are still doing the Olympics and Paralympics. They had done some to reduce the mosquito and clean up the city. In China they said about pollution but Olympics and Paralympics still went ahead

No.

They're going ahead with the Olympic games in Brazil even though there are warnings about Zika Virus. Just shows that they care more about money than the health of people.

No.

• Willie

They should, but it won't happen.

they are not cancelling or moving them ,be well covered