Starlight 1 asked in SportsHorse Racing · 4 years ago

Horse Racing section: Just a note to express condolences to the connections of the horses that died on Saturday. Anyone care to join in?

It seems that lightning really does strike twice in the same place, at least some of the time. Saturday's Preakness day was marred by two separate tragedies. The first one happened shortly after the first race on the under card, when HomeBoyKris collapsed from an apparent heart attack on his way back to the barn following the race. Then, in the fourth race, a filly that belonged to the Jacksons ( Barbaro's breeders and owners) snapped her left cannon bone. She injured her rider as well.

The filly was euthanized on the track, and her rider is recovering from a broken collarbone. This is the second horse that the Jacksons have lost because of a race at Pimlico- it seems that there is some sort of jinx on that track, at least for them. They, and the connections of HBK, have my heartfelt condolences. I wish the injured jockey a speedy recovery as well.

Anyone who wishes to is welcome to add his/her thoughts.

Favorite Answer

Though I've been involved in horse racing for as long as I can remember, I never get used to hearing sad news like this.

My sincere condolences goes out to all connections for this devastating loss. And, my heart goes out to everyone who loved and cared for Homeboykris and Pramedya (RIP).

For those who want to know more..

Homeboykris (9 year old gelding) collapsed/apparent heart attack after the first race of the day while walking back to his barn after winning the race. And, sadly, Pramedya, a 4-year-old filly, fractured a cannon bone in her leg while running on grass in the fourth race and was euthanized on the track. Also, jockey Daniel Centeno broke his collarbone in the fall. We should know more concrete reasons soon. The horses will have necropsies performed at New Bolton Center Hospital in southeastern Pennsylvania. At the time a preliminary cause of death for Homeboykris was not giving. And, Yes..Pramedya, owned by Roy and Gretchen Jackson, who owned Barbaro (RIP), the 2006 Kentucky Derby who pulled up lame during the Preakness. He underwent eight months of veternary care but was euthanized in in January 2007. Pramedya won 2 of her first 4 career starts, including one race this year.

Homeboykris had run 62 races before Saturday, winning 13 and finishing in the top three 28 times. He finished 16th in the 2010 Kentucky Derby. That's a pretty long darn career these days. His trainer said “Homeboykris hasn’t taken a bad step since we’ve had him. Owner claimed him to assure he went to good home after race career. Freak accident.”

Also, and not surprising, the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called on the horses’ owners “to release veterinary records & complete list of medications that horses were administered before #Preakness races.”

A 2012 New York Times look into horse racing found that 24 horses die each week in the United States on average. The Times wrote that after Eight Belles was euthanized on the track after the 2008 Kentucky Derby, Congress got the horse racing industry to increase safety for horses and riders. One of the measures was a policy banning many anabolic steroids. Last week, the National Thoroughbred Racing Association’s Safety & Intergrity Alliance announced that it had reaccredited Pimlico Race Course. “We are proud to once again earn the highest of marks in safety and integrity in the alliance’s accreditation,” Maryland Jockey Club President Sal Sinatra said.

(RIP Homeboykris and Pramedya)

• Starlight 1
      4 years agoReport

My prayers are with the owners/connections of both these horses. The Jacksons in particular. It's almost as though the Pimlico track has some sort of jinx on them or something. It's unheard of for lightning to strike twice in the same place, but that's what has happened.

With the connections involved in both situations, there was nothing shadowy or nefarious - as some have suggested.

But, this story (link) shows where any outrage should be directed. Paulick Report - which essentially reprints other stories and has very shoddy reporting, provided a brief synopsis on the story, but forgot the major points, which is not surprising -- http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/page/penn...

• Sandra S.
      4 years agoReport

As stated at the end of that article. "Ninety-nine percent of the people here are trying to do the right thing, but there's always one asshole in every crowd."

I couldn't have said it better myself!!