Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 4 years ago

How to get OS off of corrupted hard drive?

I was trying to transfer my os to an ssd, so I factory restored my computer, and now my hard drive is corrupted. This is like my 5th or 6th time factory restoring this pc, so I can see why. I tried checking the hard drive for errors and it said it had bad sectors. Even the windows updates won't work. So how do I get the os off of that corrupted hard drive and transfer it to a new one? I have an alienware computer so I cant just use a standard windows instillation disk.

Favorite Answer

Do a clean install of the OS and only backup your critical files (i.e. my documents, my music, etc). Alienware is expensive enough that they probably have a download you can request. Beyond that, try something like like a BART PE or Malcrum Reflect disk imaging software. book disk and make an image of the OS partition from there (might or might not work). Worst case, I've seen factory default discs sold on the manufacturer's website for around $12-20 from other sellers.

2

Source(s): #1 Antivirus For PC : http://MoveAntiVirus.com/?aqQq

You can try cloning the drive with norton ghost, using the force clone option (find a copy of falcon 4's boot cd and boot to minixp and run norton ghost from there), it could either work, somewhat work, or not work at all depending on the how far gone the hard drive is. If you can still boot the pc, use magic jellybean keyfinder to retrieve your windows key, then get a windows cd from a friend or find one elsewhere and do a fresh install on your new drive, but you have to have the same exact version of windows to use your key.

Source(s): Me. Computer tech 20+ years.

You can't "get the OS off". You have to install a new copy of Windows onto the new hard drive. And then ensure all the correct alienware drivers have been loaded.

Yes, do a clean install of your OS, and backup data you care most. If you still like to keep the old OS due to personal settings, then backup the OS and crucial data, format the hard drive and restore the backup image. If you are fail to boot the OS, follow the steps in this passage. Cheers.

http://www.backup-utility.com/articles/backup-data...

I can't get why do you need your old OS, if you have standard Windows installation disk? Run it on your new comp, is all. As for files on your hdd, contact data recovery service point as it looks like your storage unit got defective. I'd recommend call ACE Data Recovery team for help.

• Who

do NOT do what the answer you picked says

A corrupted drive MIGHT indicate the disc is failing, so the next time you power it up MIGHT be the last time it works

The FIRST thing you do is create an image of it on another computer

If this works THEN you start messing with it

NEXT thing you try is a recovery disc (if you aint got one you can get one on ebay) to try to fix the errors in the windows files

You can not now. It will never transfer a corrupted system correctly. Should have cloned the old drive to the new one when it was still working.

• G6er

You can't now. The hard drive is junk if the sectors are non-repairable

Install it with the computer's restore disks.