Norma asked in SportsOther - Sports · 4 years ago

How to reduce "felt recoil" from a 12-gauge shotgun?

Background info:

I currently have an AR-15, Ruger 10/22, 1911 45 ACP and Beretta 92FS. I have at least 700 rounds of factory JHPs for each (except I have 3,000 copper coated .22LR HP). I also reload the .223 Rem, 45 ACP and 9mm.

BUT ... I keep hearing that the **BEST** home-defense weapon as well as SHTF weapon is the 12-gauge shotgun. So I bought the entry-level 18-inch Mossberg Maverick 88 (for $189) plus 1 box of "00" buck (9 pellets - 1 oz - rated at 1,325 fps - 15 for $13 - Winchester) and 1 box of #8 shot (1 oz - rated at 1,290 fps - 25 for $5 - Winchester).

I also bought a Butler Creek slip-on recoil pad, then took the shotgun to the range and shot using the #8 shot.

All my other guns were bought after test-firing the exact weapons on the range. Needless to say, those guns are very accurate and really fun to shoot.

___

The 12-gauge shotgun is the exact opposite of fun!! It was unadulterated discomfort (bordering on pain). By the 20th shot, my right shoulder feels like it was "tenderized" already. I can shoot all my other weapons for hours and enjoy it.

In the meantime, I will look for reduced-recoil 12-gauge loads and see if it helps enough.

===

Questions:

Q1. Aside from selling the 12-gauge and getting a 20-gauge, what things can I do to reduce the "felt recoil"? What stance is best? Do you ice your shoulder after a trip to the shotgun range?

Q2. I could see shooting zombies all day long with the AR-15, but my shoulder will probably be useless after the 30th shotgun shot. What do you think -- just stick with the AR-15 as the primary weapon?

Q3. Is there a way to make the Mossberg Maverick stock heavier?

Thanks!

Best Answer

There are things you can do to reduce recoil - however - outside of loading your own light loads or firing light 'target' loads a 12ga will never be a firearm you shoot all day long and go home with a smile.

The 88 comes with a 3" chamber standard. You never mentioned what size shells you were shooting - so - perhaps you dont know that firing 2 3/4" shells has reduced power. (It's much better to hit your target with a less potent round than to miss it with the most powerful one).

Firing a box of factory 12ga your first day out - is not smart - unless you have a padded shooting jacket and well padded stock.

Next - never shoot a 12ga from the bench. This is a great way to hurt yourself.

Next - try filling the tube magazine full - the extra weight will lower the free recoil, just dont shoot the thing until empty.

Next - wear a decent jacket, preferable a winter one, that will give you some cushion.

Next - not all recoil pads are created equal. The cheapo ones are a mere honeycomb of rubber - the nicer, more expensive ones are made of similar material as prostetic breasts......... get the ones that feel soft and firm like a boob. Seriously.

Next - adding weight can help - but who wants to lug extra weight around? I've seen guys wrap 1/4" lead solder around a barrel and tape it in place to add weight, add a flashlight, etc. I think this is a last ditch resort. This just makes the firearm harder to handle, carry, and gives you stuff that can get snagged on.

Last - walk before you run. Go to the range with your other guns - but take the shotgun and just do a handful of rounds per day. Your AR will not drop a charging bull moose or Alaskan grizzly bear in one shot - the 12ga has been known to do this. Just work your way up to become profecient with it - it will take time.

Good luck

Good luck

Cheap bird shot loads with #8 pellets will give you the lowest recoil for practice sessions, for home defense I would recommend using 8 pellet 00 Buck "reduced recoil" loads from Winchester or Federal (I happen to prefer Winchester's 8 pellet Ranger loads) - the loss of one pellet over a standard 9 pellet 00 buckshot load and the reduced velocity will make absolutely no difference in terms of terminal effectiveness at typical household distances.

i guess you now know after wasting the $ butlercreek pad is a waste. get tungstun recoil reducer installed. shoot it more. findout if your not shouldering it properly cuz i can run over 100rnds 12ga 3" an not be bothered no recoil reducer or aftermarket butt pad.

Point gamer reported.

• C T M

More point gamers, exact same question asked 4 years ago

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120...

Oh Norma Norma Norma (or can I call you f@rt face?), why must you point game?