Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOther - Sports · 4 years ago

380, 25 acp, 22LR/22Magnum for Home Defense?

Are those Heritage revolvers or Cobra guns that I see on many

places online (and still in stock and that are around $200) good for

home defense such as a HER 22LR/22Magnum revolver, a .380 Cobra

or a 25 acp? What about under $250 Russian, Polish or Czech guns?

I've seen videos of them on youtube, I can't really tell if they are weak,

pea shooters or powerful, what if I use 22 Magnum ammo, can that be

used for home defense? What type would you use?

Also: Can .380, 25acp, 22LR and 22 Magnum kill?

At the target range (I've shot 9mm and other types of guns before, a few times) I'm somewhat good at center of mass shots to the chest area and somewhat better at head shots, but if I use these calibers for protection I don't want any animal or human to bleed to death if used for hunting back up or defense, will they kill instantly via a shot to the head or heart, regardless of animal or human?

Thanks.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Best Answer

You are kind of all over the place with this one. With th right shot any gun can kill, the 25 acp is on of the most hated rounds of all time, it's very expensive and hard to find because it's not produced in mass for the reason above, the .22MAG is only slightly better the the .22lr and far more expensive, the .380 has become very papular with small semi autos today and is considered a decent defense round but you might not find an are in the $200 renge that shoots it and is still good quality, if you want to hunt with a .380 you are stuck with a semi auto most likely and that's not the best choice and might not even be legal unless it's on your property, there are several things to concider when choosing a semi auto...they will jam...at on point or another it will happen, especially with rim fire ammo (.22). Anyway don't limit yourself to what you have posted and take your time looking around, you'll learn quik. My personal favorite home defense arm is a revolver, that's right, a good double action of your choice in caliber, they don't jam, they don't fail to fire, they don't fail to feed, they can be had in a vast selection of ammunition from .22 to .44 mag and beyond, team that up with a $100 single shot .22lr for squirrels and you are set. But yes makorov(sp?) does make a good one if you want a semi.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

.380 (9mm short) is the Minimum calliber for any use regarding killing men.

.25 makes people angry.

.22 calibers Rim Fire are pitiful.

A full 9mm will likely go through the target and walls.Unless you have down loaded ammo.

20 gauge Shotgun is a nice easily handled size.

Training with the The Taurus Raging Judge 28 Gauge Revolver might be what you want.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.