promotion image of download ymail app

Jobs/Careers that involve children?

Hi. I am currently 21 years old and attending college to become...well that's what I'm trying to figure out. I honestly feel so lost and feel like I am wasting my time at college because I don't know what I want to do and honestly, it scares the **** out of me. I fear that I will never figure out what I want to do and become homeless or something. I've always loved children and I want to pursue a career that involves children. I was thinking of becoming an Elementary school teacher (K-3) grade but I feel like I am not creative enough to be a teacher. What are some well paid careers that involve working with children? If you can please list some that include directly helping them like a psychiatrist or therapist and some that involve more paper work and occasionally working with children directly. To who ever answers, you really have no idea how much you are helping me out. I feel like I'm developing severe anxiety because I just feel so lost.

2 Answers

  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    I feel like that could have been taken out of the pages of my own history. Okay, my first piece of advice is calm down! You are young and you still have some time to figure this out. As long as you get some kind of degree and you have good grades, you will not be homeless.

    Now, if you are interested in working with children, you could major in any number of things and get all kinds of different jobs. You could look at Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Psychology, Community Psychology, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Social Work, Community/Public Health, Nursing, Nutrition Sciences, etc.

    You could become a Day Care Provider, Teacher, Teacher Assistant, Principal,Psychologist, Counselor, Day Treatment Facilitator, Psychosocial Rehabilitation Specialist, Basic Skills Trainer, Behavioral Specialist, Direct Care Provider, Pediatric Nurse, Pediatrician, Registered Dietician, School Social Worker, Child Protective Services Social Worker, Medical Social Worker, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Speech Language Pathologist/Speech Therapist, Marriage and Family Therapist that specializes with Children, etc.

    Now, notice some of those are really specialized; therefore, they will require Graduate or Professional Schooling. I just wanted to show you that when you have an interest in helping children, you have many doors opened to you. The one you choose will depend on what your specific interests are, how much time you are willing to spend in school, and how much money you wish to make.

    I strongly suggest that you start researching majors and possible careers and make a list of pros and cons of each. This will help you narrow down your list, and then go see both your Academic Advisor and a Career Counselor on campus to help you figure out your best fits.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    Tell you what. Why don't you look into whether you could volunteer at the organization that trains and supervised court-appointed special advocates (CASA)/guardians ad litem/whatever they're called where you are. Gay Courter's book "I Speak For This Child" can give you an idea of what they do.

    You may not be ready to work with the kids, but even helping with fundraising will help you to be connected to others who really, really care about children, and their work is worth supporting.

    If you don't think you're creative enough to be an elementary school teacher (and once you are employed by a school, you'll work with whatever grade they need you to), you may have a hard time with the training required for high-paying jobs with kids. But I bet you would be mentored if you were a good volunteer, and the people who work there could give you valuable perspectives on doing work that is important to you versus making a lot of money.

    But as for a list:

    - Family court lawyer

    - Pediatrician

    - Pediatric nurse

    - Child psychologist

    - Child psychiatrist

    - Educational consultant

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.