Why are there so many white people in South Africa?

I mean it's Africa,and I swear to you I'm not racist or anything like that,but I thought everyone in Africa is black.Why did the white people of Africa,have rights in the early 90's and black people didn't?I thought SA was a native black country,so why go against the natives?And also,how did the white people end up there in the first place?

Thanks :-)

Favorite Answer

South-Africa has a very complex history and heritage. Originally it was inhabited by Bushmen known as the Khoi-san, not alot of them left today; they have brownish skin and not related to the bantu tribes. from the 1500's to 1600's Black Africans or Bantus and white Europeans started moving to SA, the Bantus moved on land from central Africa, here they clashed with the Bushmen and in the 1600's the Europeans arrived, Dutch settlers to secure a shipping route for the Dutch east India company, not long after French hueguenots arrived, fleeing Europe because of religious persecution (Protestants fleeing violent catholic rule of the time) later England wanted a piece of the pie. Today, you've got more or less 11% White people over here, most of them are children of the old settlers from back in the day. My great great great Grand father on my mother's side is Francois Viljoen (Vullion) who arrived in the 1600's from France fleeing Religious persecution. South-Africa is a very, very colorful country, in many ways. Afrikaans a language widely spoken in South-Africa is also a result of colonisalism, it is the youngest language in the World and it is influenced by Dutch (mainly), French, German, English, Malai and portuguese. That's just a very quick summary..

The British and Dutch both sailed into South Africa. They defeated the natives and even warred with each other. Although both exploited the land they also modernised it as well. The greatest wealth in South Africa is from the diamond mining and it has made some families / companies a quite extraordinary profit.

There was a long period of apartheid and it appears for good reason. Now that apartheid has been overturned and the locals allocated power, the crime rate has absolutely exploded.

I understand the locals anger at the whites when they were in control, but many of the worst haters, rioters, looters and vagabonds were actually born in surrounding countries. They made their way into South Africa to seek a better life and then went on a crime spree.

Wow, yeah! Sorry I don't know the exact answer to your question. I've been wondering too. One of my friends said she is from South Africa but I was surprised because she was white! Fair hair and blue eyes! Of course I didn't say anything to her. Also my sister has known a couple of South African people in the past and they all happened to be white? So yeah I will come back here and see what answers have answered. I think the white people came there the same way white people came to America, and took over the population of Native Americans. And how white people came to Australia, and now over-populate the Aboriginals. I'm pretty sure all white people have a European ancestry.

• They bonbarded into South Africa and took over.

A Dutch trading company established a settlement in Table Bay in 1652. The idea was to establish farms and stores, so that ships can re-stock on their way between Europe and the far east. (They had to sail all around Africa in those days)

Then at some point a number of French protestants settled there after being persecuted by the Catholics in France. Later the British became interested in the place, and there was a short war. Britain took over, and it became a colony. People came from England, Netherlands, France, Germany, etc. to settle in this new country. There were about 4000 English settles who arrived in 1820. England had a huge unemployment problem so people were desperate.

So basically, white people came to SA and multiplied. The same way they ended up in North America or Australia.

In 1899 a war broke out between Britain and the two independent republics, The Orange Free State and The South African Republic (ZAR). They recently discovered gold in the area, and the Brits wanted it. (and everything else). So there was a war. At the end of the war the Cape Colony, Natal (both under English control) and the two republics became one country under English rule. During this war many women and children from the republics were put in concentration camps where about 27000 people died. (about 10% of the entire population)

So after the war the countries were pretty much destroyed and people tried to rebuild and regain what they lost in the war. Unfortunately people suck, so they took it too far. In order to ensure that this nation survived, they oppressed everybody else, and this meant black people were treated like crap.

Later in about the 70s, it became less about race, and more about the fight against communism. The resistance movement was pretty much controlled by the South Africa Communist party, and at the time communism was still a very credible threat to the whole world. When the Soviet Union broke up, and the Berlin wall came down, it meant that communism was no longer a huge threat, and only then did negotiations between the white government and the black people become serious. That was around 1990. Two years later there was a referendum, where the white people had to vote for or against negotiations. The vast majority voted Yes. So the leaders sat down, debated, argued etc. and in 1994 we had our first fair election where people of all races were allowed to vote.

Things are far from perfect. Unfortunately, the leaders of the ANC who claim to have freed the black people, are basically a bunch of corrupt criminals, who are more interested in money and power, than in serving the people. So crime is out of control, politicians think the state's money is theirs to spend on fancy cars and mansions, and the black people still live in shacks and have no jobs.

• Mark

South Africa was settled beginning in the 1600s, I think, when English ships took notice of it's fair climate and resources and spread the word.

• TS

They colonize it and enslaved the natives for profit (diamond mining). Sorta like what whites did in the Americas with the natives.

It's not a continent on Earth where whites as a whole don't influence, control, and\or subjugate.

SA has been both for a couple of hundred years. The white are of European descent .

They tried colonizing it. It's kind of what white people were known for the past few centuries. Traveling somewhere, claiming the land as their own, then raping, killing, enslaving, and disenfranchising the native people.