promotion image of download ymail app
Catharine asked in PetsDogs · 4 years ago

How to get an emotional support dog?

Okay I'm going to post this again since no one read the details I added.

First off, I am not trying to commit fraud.

Next, I am diagnosed depressive bi-polar by a licensed professional.

I just moved here and have a lease so I can't just up and move. I want to get a pitbull. The woman who works for my landlord told me I can have one although they have breed restrictions here as long as I have a signed note from my doc saying its an emotional support dog. IT DOES NOT MAYTER WHAT THE BREED IS, THEY RESPECT THAT SOME PEOPLE HAVE ISSUES AND THEY RESPECT THAT THEIR FAVORITE KIND OF DOG IS WHAT KEEPS THEM OUT OF THEIR DEPRESSION. All I'm asking is how to go about getting a note because I live in a completely different state than where my old doc is so don't have one yet concidering treatment is very expensive when you don't have insurance. Which I don't.

I want to be able to have the puppy and was just wondering if there were alternative ways to get the note.

11 Answers

  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes, you can get a letter from your doctor saying you can have an emotional support animal

    however, you are still held to breed limitations, size limitations, insurance requirements, etc...

    the difference in being allowed an emotional support animal is that you are given that allowance even if the apartment policy is no pets --- this is how the FHA laws read

    you need to understand what the laws can grant you and what those limitations are

    you have no choice in obtaining a letter from your doctor... there are no alternatives to getting the letter from the doctor

    there are case law examples... and even after you get the letter from your doctor... if they are not satisfied with that letter, they can demand you be seen by the doctor of their of their choice and if that doctor agrees that you need an ESA, you can then get one

    you can not get one and then try to get it approved.. you must get it approved before you try to obtain the dog

    there is a difference in reasonable accommodation (you are allowed to have an ESA)

    and an unreasonable accommodation (you are attempting to get approval for a dog that is breed-banned in the area or is unacceptable to their insurance carrier)

    the rules are VERY different for ESA than for SD (where there are no breed limitations) and you won't be eligible for SD unless you can also prove that dog is trained to be an SD (housing does not cover SDiT.. Service Dogs in Training... and neither does ADA)... a puppy is not an SD, it might be an SDiT

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    Sorry, if you are not currently in treatment, you can't get an emotional support dog. An emotional support dog is not instead of treatment, it is in addition.

    Since Obama care you are actually required to get insurance and you are eligible for government aid if you can't pay for it.

    Since there are a lot of breeds for which there are no restrictions you would be stupid and make your life a lot more difficult by getting a pit bull. A real pit bull is a dog with high drive which is not suitable for somebody who is struggling with mental problems. A pit-bull type dog has no standard and is no better than other breeds of dogs, but can thanks to uneducated breeders come with a lot of health problems. You probably would be better off with a type of dog against which there are less prejudices.

    Lastly if you keep a dog right, you need to budget a minimum of $1000 a year for dog related expenses and you need a minimum of $500 as an emergency fund for vet related emergencies. If you can't afford health insurance you probably can't afford a dog. And if you get a dog and don't get the dog vaccinated and basic health care, the dog will have worms and is at a high risk of dying of parvo. Which will be very stressful to you.

    You need to get insurance and your life in some semblance of order, then get a dog.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    For a person to legally qualify for an emotional support animal (ESA), he/she must be considered emotionally disabled by a licensed mental health professional (therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, etc.), you're responsibility to find one, as evidenced by a properly formatted prescription letter. Typically, a medical doctor does not qualify because they are not a licensed mental health professional. Some airlines and property managers will accept a verification form completed by a family doctor, however.

    Property managers/landlords are NOT required to make a reasonable accommodation under the Fair Housing Act for ESAs or Service Animals in these cases:

    Buildings with 4 or less units where the landlord occupies one of the units

    Single family housing sold or rented without a real estate broker

    Hotels and Motels are not considered dwellings under the FHA but are considered places of public accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act

    Private Clubs

    The letter should state that:

    You are currently his/her patient

    Are under his/her care for the treatment of mental disability found in the DSM IV or V (the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, version 4 or 5).

    Your disability substantially limits at least one major life activity

    He/she prescribes for you an emotional support animal as a necessary treatment for your mental health.

    In addition, the letter must be dated, written on his/her letterhead, include his/her license type, number, date of license, and state in which the license was issued.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    You are trying to commit fraud. You are not disabled so you can't have a service dog and you can't have a ESA since ts a pet. And it does matter what bred it is. The LL stated you can't have certain breeds so you can't have certain breeds and you will be evicted if you get a breed that is banned or restricted.

    And yes it LEGAL since an ESA is only a pet therefore can't be in pet free housing and is always subject to breed and weight restrictions.

    Since you think you are entitled to have what dog you wan tyou clearly have never been to a doctors office and are just a spoiled person who thinks they are above the rules.

    There is no note that will allow you to keep a banned or restricted breed or one that is over the weight or height requirements since ESA are only pets

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

    You get a letterhead from your mental health professional who reccomends a pet as part of your treatment. There arw NO alternative ways to get this note. You will need to establish yourself with a mental health professional and likely get treatment under his care for several months before he will write such a note, due to all scammers out there who are seeking esa notes. You take this letter to your landlord and request reasonable accommodation to be allowed a dog. The landlord can allow a dog, but they can still place size or breed restrictions. Allowing a breed that may cause the landlord to lose her property insurance, is NOT "reasonable accomodation". You do not specifically need a pit bull type dog, when ANY breed can have the same function as an ESA.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    You'll have to go to a local mental health provider (psychologist, therapist, or psychiatrist - NOT a family doctor) to get a note on his/her letter head stating that you are under their treatment, that you have a disability and that the animal is part of your treatment. If you have no insurance then you'll have to go through your counties mental health services. They will request records from the doctor who diagnosed you with "depressive Bi-polar" (which isn't a type of Bipolar just so you know), then they can give you a note if they feel it's warranted.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pamela
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

    Sorry, but a Emotional support dog is not the same as a trained service dog.

    Service dogs are welcome everywhere but EMA are not letter from doctor or not.

    It is up to the land lord whether to accept one or not.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    ESAs are pets. Nothing more. It's a fancy name for a pet. So go ahead and get a pet.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    "im not trying to commit fraud" "alternative ways to get the note" the fact you bought up fraud and then went on to ask about alternative methods would suggest you are trying to commit fraud, you bought it up no one else. You need a legitimate doctors note, you're going to have to pay to see a doc where you now live, no other options available

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    adopt a shelter dog..

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.