Chicago style help? For example: John Doe, author of Blah blah blah states, "Blah blah blah blah." Is the next consecutive time I quote?

John Doe look like this? Doe also says, "Blah blah blah" Ibid. ??? Whenever I look up how to use Ibid, it just says, use Ibid if quoting John Doe consecutively, but do I still introduce the author of the source I'm quoting and THEN use Ibid or do I not introduce John Doe and use Ibid on the end or what? I'm about to tear my hair out! x(

Favorite Answer

You need to make it clear whom you're quoting, even to a reader who doesn't look at the footnotes. So yeah, you probably need to say "Doe also says...." unless it's obvious from the context that you're still quoting Doe.

And although Chicago may still permit the use of "ibid.," I'm pretty sure it also permits you to avoid it, and I'd advocate avoiding it, and using a brief-reference footnote such as this instead:

Doe, _Title of Book_, 123.

"Ibid." is really dangerous in this post-typewriter age where it's trivially easy to insert a new footnote citing somebody other than Doe between the first citation of Doe and the "Ibid.," and then the "Ibid." refers to the wrong thing. If you avoid "ibid." this problem can never arise.