Toxic Shock Sydrome Likleyhood?

So I've only wore a tampon once and it was slightly uncomfortable so I took it out but I read about toxic shock syndrome coming from tampons sometimes, what causes this also, what's the likley hood I would get it I didn't feel lightheaded or like I was going to vomit, it was just weird so I took it out. So is my likley hood high because I heard it can be life threatening. I started my period about 1 year ago so if that effects anything...

• Kasha
    Favorite Answer

In this scenario risk of contracting TSS is zero.

Toxic Shock Syndrome is where certain strains of bacteria are allowed to multiply in proximity to mucus membranes or damaged tissue, these bacteria then produce TSST-1 toxins which enter the bloodstream and if a person lacks immunity to the toxins they overwhelm the immune system leading to shock and organ failure.

Tampons are a risk because they are inserted into the vagina where they provide the perfect environment for bacteria to grow, by plugging the vagina and changing vaginal pH it means the bacteria are able to multiply to unsafe levels - vaginal walls are mucus membrane, and are damaged due to tampons drying-out the tissues.

In your case...

1. Sounds like you didn't leave the tampon in long enough for bacteria to multiply.

2. TSS comes on fairly quickly, if you had TSS it would likely occur while still wearing a tampon.

Plus it's possible the bacteria responsible were not present at this time, did not start to produce toxins responsible for TSS, and/or you have an immunity to those toxins/don't have a weakened immune system so risk was low.

TSS is rare, but not as rare as people believe and younger people are at a far higher risk, so if you chose to use tampons over safer options like pads or menstrual cups it's important to learn about TSS and other tampon associated health risks, that also includes making sure how to use tampons correctly and what symptoms to look out for (TSS symptoms vary, but in all cases there's high fever and change in blood pressure).

Remember:

- Change tampons at least every 4-6 hours.

- Alternate with pads as often as possible.

- Always use lowest absorbency for your flow.

- Avoid rayon tampons: Tampax, Playtex, Kotex.

- Opt for cotton tampons: Cottons, Natracare, Maxim.

- Do not use tampons when not menstruating.

- Do not use tampons with light flow like spotting.

- Do not use tampons overnight while sleeping.

- Do not use tampons with a vaginal infection.

- Wash hands before using tampons.

- Store tampons in clean dry place.

You ARE Loved (TSS information) - http://www.you-are-loved.org

• MissA

Toxic shock syndrome is mostly caused by two very common bacteria, staphylococcus (which causes pimples, mostly) and streptococcus (which causes strep throat). Basically in order to get it you need to have a perfect storm of bad circumstances, and so it is really rare... like one in 100,000 tampon users.

From what you describe I would say you have zero chance of getting TSS from your tampon experiment.

• The

It difficult to answer this since you didn't say how long you kept it in. If you kept it in for long then 4 hours it's a possibility. I highly doubt you have it

It's pretty rare. As long as you don't keep a tampon in for more than 6 hours you'll be find

Almost zero.