Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What is your best advice for preparing for the air force?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I was drafted in 1968. But I failed the physical. Obesity.... Before I grew up to become a fat-man I was a fat-kid. I was golden. I didn't have to attend college to get a deferment. I didn't have to protest and burn my draft card. I didn't have to pretend I was gay. I didn't have to slink off with my tail between my legs to live in Canada. All I had to do was not lose any weight. Only problem was, I supported the war in Vietnam, and felt it was unfair of me not to serve. So, I enlisted in the Air Force. It turned out I was to heavy to be drafted, but not to heavy to volunteer.

The intellectual stuff in basic was piece of cake. Just stay awake and pay attention. If you got through high-school, you can get through that stuff in basic. The physical was a whole different can of worms or me. The HARDEST thing I found was all the running. We double-timed it everywhere we went. And, at first, I could NOT keep up. I almost washed out, but hung in there. The advise I would give anyone planning to join the service (any branch) is go out and jog a couple of miles EVERY morning before you go. Practicing push-ups, squat-thrusts, and sit-ups will also get you ready for the physical side of things. Anyway, that is my experience and advise.

Source(s): USAF medic, 1968-1971.... Been there; done that....
  • 5 years ago

If you are young and in decent physical condition, intense preparation beforehand really isn't going to help you as much as you might think. You will end up finding out that those workouts you thought were so tough lacked a major motivational factor: military instructors. And so you will end up sore as hell, just like everybody else. The only real reason you should put extra effort into preparing yourself physically is if you really are out of shape or overweight. But if you are 18-20, average height and weight, then you gain nothing by all the extra training you did before shipping out.

Source(s): USMC 89-93
  • John
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

Practice pushups, situps, and running everyday until they take you to basic.

USAF 1967-71 active duty.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

that once through Boot camp there is No way out you Must do your Time and the Military Own You especially the US military

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Wear safety glasses at all times to protect your eyesight.

• 5 years ago

put on a ski mask- that air can be cold

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

don't do drugs

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.