What is your best advice for preparing for the air force?

Favorite Answer

I was drafted in 1968. But I failed the physical. Obesity.... Before I grew up to become a fat-man I was a fat-kid. I was golden. I didn't have to attend college to get a deferment. I didn't have to protest and burn my draft card. I didn't have to pretend I was gay. I didn't have to slink off with my tail between my legs to live in Canada. All I had to do was not lose any weight. Only problem was, I supported the war in Vietnam, and felt it was unfair of me not to serve. So, I enlisted in the Air Force. It turned out I was to heavy to be drafted, but not to heavy to volunteer.

The intellectual stuff in basic was piece of cake. Just stay awake and pay attention. If you got through high-school, you can get through that stuff in basic. The physical was a whole different can of worms or me. The HARDEST thing I found was all the running. We double-timed it everywhere we went. And, at first, I could NOT keep up. I almost washed out, but hung in there. The advise I would give anyone planning to join the service (any branch) is go out and jog a couple of miles EVERY morning before you go. Practicing push-ups, squat-thrusts, and sit-ups will also get you ready for the physical side of things. Anyway, that is my experience and advise.

Source(s): USAF medic, 1968-1971.... Been there; done that....

If you are young and in decent physical condition, intense preparation beforehand really isn't going to help you as much as you might think. You will end up finding out that those workouts you thought were so tough lacked a major motivational factor: military instructors. And so you will end up sore as hell, just like everybody else. The only real reason you should put extra effort into preparing yourself physically is if you really are out of shape or overweight. But if you are 18-20, average height and weight, then you gain nothing by all the extra training you did before shipping out.

Source(s): USMC 89-93
  • John

Practice pushups, situps, and running everyday until they take you to basic.

USAF 1967-71 active duty.

that once through Boot camp there is No way out you Must do your Time and the Military Own You especially the US military

Wear safety glasses at all times to protect your eyesight.

put on a ski mask- that air can be cold

• Kyle

don't do drugs