FallenStar asked in PetsDogs · 5 years ago

Momma dog doesnt spend much time with her babies?

I rescued this dog from someone who was going to throw her in a shelter. Thankfully she only had 2 puppies. They will be 4 weeks on monday and I have already started the weaning process. But lately I notice she isnt spending much time with them in the box. She will let them cry and cry and cry. Is this normal? Is this just her trying to wean?

I read that she should be spending time with them to teach discipline as well as other things, if she wont get in the box with them how will she do this?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Weaning should begin towards the end of week 3 going into week 4 and right now, these puppies will have sharp baby teeth which will hurt her. So you need to get on with taking over the feeding and you'll normally find mum will go in with them after they've fed to clean up and allow comfort suckling for a while yet. But the moment she's had enough of being mauled, she'll want out. All this being taught by mum doesn't necessarily need to happen either. Our bitches, who were usually maternal, still didn't spend much time with their babies once weaning was well under-way.

Content puppies shouldn't cry and cry however regardless of whether she reacts. How much food are they getting - they should be fed 4 good meals a day at least, once they can cope with solids. Fact is she may just have had enough of being a mum so I'd not force any of this. Provided the puppies are being fed, either from her, or you and still gaining, not dehydrated etc., there should be no need to be forcing anything.

At 4 weeks, you should be getting them to lap warm goats milk, and then once they can, add a good quality puppy food to either goats milk, or water, into a porridge consistency. And once eating solids, they will need a shallow dish of fresh water - not overnight.

By 6 weeks, weaning onto solids should be complete but the puppies should still be together for at least another 2 weeks, so you know they are properly established in their diet, and otherwise ready for the outside world.

ps If mum appears to be disinterested in her puppies, it might be worth making sure she doesn't have a medical problem. Check her teats for mastitis - and clip the pointy ends off the nails of the pups. She may just be sore down there.

• ?
    Lv 6
    5 years ago

With larger breeds, weaning is complete by the end of week 4. THey should've been offered the mush (water soaked kibble) around the end of the 3rd week. Take them completely away from mom at 6 (SIX) weeks. Torturing the mother for the additional 2 weeks, while she should be recuperating is pointless and "teaches" nothing.

ADD: If she were in the box, she would be running in circles trying to avoid having her boobs ripped to shreds. If a puppy manages to grab one, she will snap at it, then jump back out of the box. SOme people are ignorant enough to think that TEACHES something. It does not. When the puppies begin fighting over food, it is time to separate THEM from each other....but no later than 7 weeks. 2 puppies that are genetically very similar, will quickly become one dominant, one submissive. These problems will be lifelong behavior issues.

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

They should be in a bigger area than a "box" at this point. She will start weaning them, but still should be spending time with them.

• 5 years ago

What did the vet say that provided the postnatal care, examined the pups within 24 hours after their birth and who you have on call for emergencies?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

weaning begins at 6 weeks

• Fatrat
    Lv 5
    5 years ago

You are right and I would be concerned also. Peculiar that our vets have not jumped on this. I have no experience with new borns.

• ?
    Lv 7
    5 years ago

yes she weans them too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.