How to get a good SAT score?

I took my ACT recently and got a 20 out of 36 :( I'm planning on taking my SAT this summer and take it again the beginning of my senior year (I'm currently a junior). What should I do to get a good SAT score? Considering that I did very badly on my ACT, I'm loosing confidence in myself. And would it be necessary to take SAT classes outside of school online or in a class? Do you think that there is still chance for me to get a 2000+ SAT score? HELPPPPPP and thank you!

Favorite Answer

Practice, practice, practice. Get a copy of the Official SAT Study Guide. Not only is there a lot of good advice in this book, there are several practice exams with explanations. Try to figure out why you are getting things wrong, and work on whatever it is you don't know. Then REPEAT. You may have to go through this process dozens of times before you get the improvement you want. Small steps will get you there. Start months ahead of time and try to put in some time at least 4 or 5 days a week. As an SAT tutor for 10 years, I have seen students make huge leaps on the SAT if they are determined enough. It is also possible that you will do better on the SAT than you did on the ACT, since the ACT science section trips some people up and this will not be on the SAT. It is smart to take both, because often individual students will do much better on one than on the other.

You can also seek help by taking SAT/ACT classes or hiring a tutor. Having taught both ways, my own opinion is that the tutor is the better way to go. You will receive personalized attention and instruction that is geared towards your exact needs. There are some resources on my own website kpgillexamprep.com that might be of use to you. Good luck with your test!

The SAT is now just 1600 composite, and no, you are very unlikely to earn a top 20% score based on your performance on the ACT. The old conversion for a 2000 on the SAT would be a 29 on the ACT. That isn't going to happen. Before you go all psycho, you need to figure out exactly WHY you earn the 20. Is there a particular section in which you simply don't have the subject matter knowledge? If that is the case, then you can focus on that. Maybe you just don't have the necessary critical thinking skills to decipher the test questions and make logical choices on the answers. If that is the case, you might benefit from a test prep class.

If possible, I would buy the official SAT prep book, and go through that to find your weaknesses. Then you can focus more on those. For example, if on a practice test you didn't do as well in the math portion as the reading, review the math problems and work through them again to see what you did wrong, then find similar problems to do to enforce the concepts. Similarly, if you didn't do as well on the reading portion, go back to the text and understand why your answer was wrong, and why the other one was better. Make sure that you know exactly what the questions are asking about. And don't worry too much! Stress will only make you feel worse. Just take a deep breath, and start studying (:

• drip

With getting a low score of 20 on the ACT it is highly doubtful you would score that high on the SAT.

Study HOW to take the exam. Doing well on it is based on the knowledge you already have and how ell you can use that knowledge

• Jim

Be careful. The Scholastic Aptitude Test is designed to measure your APTITUDE, not achievement. Your earlier scores may not have been valid, but trying to raise them artificially may cause you to be accepted into programs for which you do not have the aptitude and in which you will fail.

Best wishes and good luck

• Nazia

Tuition and practice will def help. These test scores dont define you. In the world only work experience matters not your degree. However, it is nice to have some tuition help and asking questions from your tutor will def help you to master concepts and solve questions intellgently.

These exams are designed so you can't "study" for them. Practicing and using proper techniques will help you approach the problems faster.