Keep hearing a piece of classical music on TV in so many shows and have never been able to identify it. Please can someone help?

When I say I ve heard this piece in many shows, I mean loads... Great British Railway Journeys, Great Canal Journey s, Secret Britain, Walks with Julia Bradbury, Antiques shows, yep there must be close to 20 and shazam or similar apps have always failed to trace it. I ve heard it in both major and minor key as well. I thought I had a break through when I discovered it was the theme tune to Penelope Keith s Hidden Villages but I still can t find out what it s called or who it s by. It sounds like it should be by someone like Keith Kenniff but I ve looked there with no success either. :( Any help to identify it would be greatly appreciated. You can hear it at the beginning of this video:

https://youtu.be/ntOGZxIHcuA

Youtube thumbnail

• Tim
    Favorite Answer

I must admit I've always thought of that as 'generic BBC background music'. It does show up everywhere and I don't see it credited. It reminds me a little of Penelope Keith's old program 'To the Manor Born'. Sorry that's no help, but thanks for the post.

• duv4 years agoReport

Possiblly commissioned by a production company rather than a channel then given that it's aired cross-channel. I'll have to write to C4 and ask I think.

• BriaR

You haven't heard "A" piece of classical music you have heard many pieces of music.

For example, the Music for Great British Railway journeys was specifically written for the program and is heard nowhere else.

• duv4 years agoReport

I've heard the same piece of music over and over. In fact I know this because I can hum it and if placed in front of a piano I could pick it out reasonably accurately for sure. I'm not referring to the theme tune for great British Railway journeys, it was just a snippet of music used in one episode.

Instead of looking for particular piece, why not try to find the genre so you can enjoy music like it? It sounds a bit like new age music or movie soundtrack music.

• duv4 years agoReport

I've got a wealth of music close in genre to enjoy from the amazing Philip Glass to Ludovico Einaudi ... there's just a particular section in the 'soundtrack' piece that I like and I'd like to listen to it in full without voiceovers.

• It isn't classical, just soundtrack music. It's the same thing over and over, with little development and no key movement.

• duv4 years agoReport

Doesn't really matter if it is soundtrack or classical or what really... I'm just trying to find out what it is called. Thanks for the opinion anyway.