Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 5 years ago

Is it possible to find a laptop that can play games, such as CSGO and Skyrim, and is in the £300-£500 range?

Doesnt matter if it cant play games at ultra high settings, as long as it doesnt lag and crash every two seconds.

Favorite Answer

A lot of people are saying yes, I agree when it comes to CSGO but not with Skyrim. Skyrim is a heavy hitter... it runs like crap on an Xbox... you might be able to get it to run but I woouldn't doubt if you hit frame rates like 8 and 10 often on low settings. What your looking for is out of that price range but not by that much. Asus makes good stuff, I don't personally like it, but it's probaly popular for a reason and I've only seen and heard good things about their warranty. I would say watch the sales until you find something with a 3 or 4 gig card, although other hardware is important important. You might be able to find something that meets the minimum requirements for $600-$650. I would advise getting something with a lower quality display those FHDs seem to really bump the prices up.

Yes, I've had an ACER laptop that could run tf2 at like 50-60fps and haven't tried cs go but can run that same frame for both games at 1080p HD. You can go for an ASUS but look at the specifications and go something that is an i3-i5 processor and at least 4gb of ram.

Source(s): Personal experience

CSGO yes, Skyrim maybe on minimum.

Get a laptop with an i5 at least, equipped with 4GB RAM, and a GT 920M.

Higher is better of course.

Source(s): Have 9 laptops at home.

i got my 17" HP Envy for about £550. with an i7, and an nvidia graphics processor. I can run Fallout NV at 60fps on ultra high graphics, I havn't tried, but im sure i could run skyrim on high with no problem.

i got a special deal though. computer companies often have deals on their websites, they vary and end fast tho so just patrol the websites for a while and youll find a good deal.

look for a cheaper Alien Ware Laptop (if there is such a thing)

• ?

You get what you pay for. Systems with high end parts with low prices are to be viewed with suspicion. They have to cut corners somewhere to get the price down. What cost you less today is going to cost you more tomorrow.

All laptops or desktops have pretty much the same CPU, GPU, ram, hard drive and screen. Most people do not know that the brand of the hard drive can make all the differences in the world. Intel and AMD make the best CPU. AMD and Nividia make the best GPU. What makes a good laptop or desktop is the manufacturing process, the motherboard and the sub components used in them. After that, it is the software included with them. Some manufactures modify Windows and the drivers severely and cripple the system into being locked to them. Some manufactures so load the system up with bloat software that it takes an hour or more just to get it off the hard drive. You will find those who do not know much about PC and laptops claiming brand do not matter. That they all have the same components in them. The brands makes all the difference. It would be like saying the brand of car, or television does not matter.

I would go with HP or ASUS.

This one is on sale, Save £250.99. It has a AMD APU A10-8700P APU, 8 GB ram, AMD Radeon R6, 2 TB hard drive, and a 15.6" 1080 screen

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/la...

My opinion on the different brands.

Apple makes a good quality laptop. The problem comes when it requires service or minor upgrades. It is near impossible to do anything with them. They even glue the battery and hard drive down so you can not change it. They solder the ram to the logic board so you can not increase it. They lock up most of the software so your stuck with what they approve.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ifixit-gives-latest-a...

Lenovo has serious stand behind their product problems. They bought IBM PC division and proceeded to drive the quality of the system into the ground. Their customer service is well below par. They even makes Dell customer service look good. Lenovo Makes it hard to surf thru their site without signing up to find trouble shooting tips. Sometimes it is impossible to find certain things without giving them your email addy. The last and final thing to remember about them is they are a Chinese Government own company. It is up to you if you want to trust them. Lenovo also got caught shipping system with Adware installed on them called Visual Discovery by Superfish. It was a giant security hole that they intentionally installed for corporate greed.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/lenovo-superfish/

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/199628-lenovo...

Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony should be avoided because of their heavy modification of Windows and the drivers. If you remove some of the bloat they install, you can cripple the system.

Acer, Gateway, and eMachines should be avoided period. They are low end system that helped drive the race to the bottom. To show just how low end they are, Acer bought out Gateway after Gateway bought out eMachine. They are now and will always be a joke among serious puter and lappy users.

Dell once made a good system and fell from grace. They are now struggling to regain their place in the market. Dell goes out of there way to make it difficult for people to download what they need, and treat drivers as if they are state secrets. This is just one of many customer service problems with this company.

Alienware are glorified Dells and are more name than product. Priced extremely high for what you get. They do perform but you can get the same for less by looking around, just not packaged to be eye candy to the gamers.

Samsung has a history of using cheap parts in critical areas. Capacitors has been one area Samsung has a known history of going cheap, causing units to fail early. For that reason I would avoid them.

ASUS and HP do not modify Windows as bad as the other manufacturers. They have excellent build quality. They might add a lot of bloat but they also makes it easy to get rid of it. Their customer support and technical service is far better then the others and they have excellent online support. I have dealt with many companies when it comes to this kind of support and these two stand out.

HP has a built in diagnostic program in its BIOS/UEFI that can help quickly find problems in the hardware. They also have a built in method for recovering from a bad BIOS/UEFI update. I have chucked many lappies because of problems during the update and the customer didn't want to pay the cost of replace the chip.

Ultrabooks are the higher end of Wintel laptops but they have some of the same concerns as Apple. They make it next to impossible to change any hardware in them. Service of them will have to be done by the manufacturers. With most of them, you can not change your own battery or hard drive. They are designed to catch your eye but they are not any more special then other laptops except for the fact that they are slim or thin. Your paying for it being thin and slim. For the money your going to spend on it you can buy a much better laptop with more power.

Chrome books are useless. They are designed by Google to make you dependent on Google.

Hybrids, 2 in 1, flip laptops are the worse of the worse. The flip or detachable touch screens are just a disaster waiting to happen.

Never buy an All In One. They are far worst then laptops of any kind to service and they have a higher failure rate.

Always avoid refurbished units. They come with a 90 day warranty and have a high failure rate. The service contacts are normally just a one time replace contract.

Choose wisely.

Source(s): TWB 35+ years of experience in the service industry. You name it, I have probably fixed it. I did not design it, I did not build it, I did not break it, but I am the one who can fix it. What that means is that I have spent a life time taking these things apart and seeing how they are made. The difficult we do right away, the impossible just takes a little longer. I hear voices, so please be quiet so I can listen to them.