AP Government and Politics Question!?

I received this question and all 40 of my classmates got it wrong along with myself. The correct answer is "A", I would argue "C". Can someone please give input as to how the level of melanin in a race makes them more likely to vote? Feel free to Email me at Jacob_Pesta@yahoo.com

When the effects of income and education are eliminated, which of the following statements about voting rates is true?

A) black citizens vote at a higher rate than white citizens

B) black citizens vote at a rate about half of white citizens

C) individuals from all races vote at about the same rate

D) Asian Americans voters have the highest voting rates

E) there is no change in voting rates

Best Answer

They didn't have AP classes when I was in high school, but the idea I get is that they are 'college-level' classes in high school. The thing is, in college you are given facts and encouraged to think on your own and come up with your own conclusions. An instructor won't penalize you for disagreeing if you can make a good case for your views. Whereas in High School, students are more taught -what- to think than -how- to think.

Blacks are generally less wealthy and less educated than whites or Asians, and they vote in smaller numbers. I don't know if it's possible to NOT count the effects of education and income. I don't see how you can make the case that blacks would vote more than whites given the same circumstances. I agree with you that melanin has nothing to do with it.

Blacks have traditionally not voted for a number of reasons, some of them their fault, some not. Since the end of the civil war, blacks have been systematically disenfranchised, kept from voting by artificial barriers like poll taxes, literacy tests, state laws requiring voter IDs that blacks were less likely to have (like drivers licenses) or even closing polling places in 'liberal' neighborhoods! But also I'm sure blacks living in some places didn't bother to vote because they believed their vote didn't count, or that by registering to vote they were opening themselves up to some kind of trouble.

People who are better-educated and better-paid do tend more to vote. But you can't infer from that that blacks would vote more than white people if all other things were equal.

Blacks voted in unprecedented percentages in 2008 when we had a black man on the ballot, replacing a president who was seen as somewhat racist, against a candidate who was also seen as somewhat racist. But in midterm elections blacks, liberals, Democrats in general do not vote in such big numbers.

If it was me, I think I'd seriously ask my teacher where he/she got that fact. Not in a challenging way, just out of genuine curiosity. If everyone in the class gets a question wrong, it's probably not a good question to begin with.

• Jacob4 years agoReport

I completely agree and went through the same thought process when answering the question! I did ask the teacher and he had told me that he did not create the question, but was given the question by the College Board who governs the AP programs. He could not figure it out either. Thanks for the help!

I don't believe that any of those choices are correct

• Jacob4 years agoReport

It's difficult to say because you can not test the experiment. Everyone has some level of education and some form of income; therefore, how can you give the hypothetical?