Mike
Lv 7
Mike asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 4 years ago

To fight global warming, should the British be subsidizing the use of cheese to produce energy?

Most of the the energy is going right back to the producers of the excess cheese.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/12/gas-mad...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • JimZ
    Lv 7
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

<<<The anaerobic digestion plant at the Lake District Creamery in Aspatria will receive millions of pounds in subsidies for turning whey and other residues from the cheese production process into “biogas”.>>>

Just feed it to those who are lactose intolerant. That should produce plenty of house warming gases. Governments interfering with the cost of things just shows how stupid government is. They can't leave a good thing alone. Government interference with cost resulted in excess cheese and they pile stupidity on top of idiocy by taking that cheese to make biofuel out of it. Some people would applaud their effort. I find it ridiculous and cheesy.

I did misread that. It was the wasted whey but I agree with Kano that it is still a very iffy idea to use whey. It is a great protein source that could surely be used for something better. I used to eat a whey protein supplement. Maybe they could give it to cows to make them "beefier" too.

• 4 years ago

Anaerobic digesters make a lot of sense, and public policy should be encouraging them. They take waste products and manure and convert them to renewable energy.

Some of the energy is being used by the farm, undoubtedly, but this is energy that would be taken from the grid otherwise, so it is still helping. Not all whey is equal. Some can be used as a protein source, but not all whey is suitable for that purpose.

Digesters also can take manure, and pull the methane from it (a greenhouse gas), and convert it to energy, the substrate can then be used as bedding or land applied as fertilizer. It also reduces odor.

Digesters make a lot of sense in many ways and help solve multiple problems.

• 4 years ago

Wallace and Grommit would be proud ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7rzSslub6U

Youtube thumbnail

As bright entrepreneurs they have obviously spotted a way to tap into some subsidies. As the Big Renewables entrepreneurs have discovered, subsidy farming is more lucrative than wind and solar farming.

• Kano
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Really stupid idea, again taxpayers money being wasted, the residues are needed for human and animal consumption, many products contain whey as it is high in protein.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • BB
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

So....the big question.... Do Taxpayers/customers realize their money is being squandered?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.